Halo Infinite is arriving early, as the Halo Infinite Multiplayer Beta has been released in a surprise launch following Xbox 20th Anniversary Celebration stream, but unfortunately, bugs and launch issues are making it difficult for some players to get in on the action. Thankfully, there are some fixes and workarounds that you can do to limit the impact of these bugs or even squash them entirely. Solutions like these will make enjoying the game during its early launch much easier and less stressful.
Here's an overview of all of Halo Infinite's known bugs and launch issues, including explanations of what they are as well as details on what you can do to fix them or reduce how much they'll affect your in-game experience. If you're simply trying to get in, here's how to play the Halo Infinite Multiplayer Beta right now, including the download sizes and more.
Halo Infinite Multiplayer Beta: Top known issues and bugs
As the Halo Infinite Multiplayer Beta rolls out across Xbox and PC, players are bound to encounter some bugs and glitches that will affect performance. We'll keep this article updated with the latest information we have about known bugs and launch issues, as well as everything we know about fixing them.
Stuck on blue screen
Currently, players are experiencing an issue where opening up Halo Infinite shows nothing but a blue screen. This issue is due to the fact that Halo Infinite itself isn't fully live yet, and players instead only have the license to the game right now. Players will need to wait until Microsoft pushes the game live in full before the multiplayer can be played. Halo Infinite is steadily going live everywhere, but is taking a while longer on Xbox. Be sure you have Halo Infinite "pre-saved," and regularly check for updates until Halo Infinite is augmented with a roughtly ~26GB update. Microsoft has stated that restarting your console or Xbox app on PC may also fix this issue and get the game to update.
No ping to datacenters detected
If you get an error message that says "no ping to our datacenters detected" while trying to queue for a match, it's indicating that Halo Infinite's servers are having a hard time keeping up with the rapid influx of players. Restarting your game may fix the issue.
Other players loading
While matchmaking, it's possible to experience a glitch in which the matchmaker freezes and permanently displays a "other players loading" message. To fix this issue, you'll need to close Halo Infinite and restart the game.
XP Boost glitch
While trying to use an XP Boost, players may encounter an issue where the XP Boost glitches out and leaves them stuck on a broken dialogue box. To resolve this issue, you have to close and restart Halo Infinite.
Greyed out play button
Players may encounter a glitch where the Play button that queues them for matches is greyed out, preventing them from playing. To fix this issue, you'll need to restart the game.
Ranked Arena not giving XP
In Ranked Arena playlists, completed matches occasionally do not count toward your rank and will show no stats at the end of the match. There is currently no fix for this issue.
Async Compute crashing
Players with AMD Radeon RX 500 Series GPUs may crash if Async Compute in the Video Settings is set to On. Disabling Async Compute fixes this.
Background Recording performance issues
The Background Recording feature in Windows 10 or the Record What Happened feature in Windows 11 can cause performance issues when enabled. Turning these features off improves performance. They can be found in the Capture Settings menu of Windows 10 and the Captures menu of Windows 11.
First-person animation stutter
Some first-person animations may appear to stutter at 60 FPS or higher. Currently, there is no known way to fix this.
Destroyed vehicles cause stuttering
Players standing on a destroyed vehicle will experience stuttering and desyncs. To avoid this issue, make sure you don't jump on or walk onto destroyed vehicles.
Training Mode audio issues
In Training Mode, pausing the game during the intro sequence mutes most sound effects. Pausing and unpausing fixes this.
Challenges not completing
Players may encounter an issue where accomplishing challenge objectives does not complete the challenge, preventing them from earning XP and finishing the challenge. There is currently no fix for this bug.
Customizations cannot be changed while loading into a match. There is no known fix for this issue right now, so make sure you equip the customizations you want before and after each multiplayer match.
Theater load error
After watching a film, attempting to watch another sometimes results in a "Load Error." Restarting the game fixes this.
Can't join fireteam
Players cannot join another player's fireteam while in an active match. There is no fix for this at the moment.
Unable to join friend after quitting match
Leaving a game while dead and attempting to rejoin the same game by joining on a friend through the Social menu causes a loop of "Unable to Join" and "Connecting to Server" errors. There is currently no fix for this.
Halo Infinite Multiplayer Beta: Other bugs and issues
In addition to the above bugs and issues that are affecting many players in serious ways, there are also several other bugs and issues that are less significant, but may still impact your gameplay experience noticeably. The complete list of these issues is as follows:
- Older AMD GPU drivers can lead to poor performance. Updating drivers to the most recent version fixes this.
- Hovering the mouse cursor over some menu items does not update what is selected before clicking it. The arrow keys still work as expected.
- If a PC player has a fireteam set to Invite Only and invites an Xbox player who has two players signed in for splitscreen, the Xbox player who accepts the invitation receives an error saying they can't join the fireteam. The PC player incorrectly sees a notification that the invited player is joining the fireteam. Use the Friends Only or Open fireteam settings instead when inviting splitscreen Xbox players.
- Some minimum hardware specification GPUs may crash when playing intro cinematic sequences in 4k resolution. Uninstalling the Multiplayer HD texture packs fixes this.
- Epic Armor Effects appear offset from the player's arms in the Tutorial and Theater mode.
- While playing in splitscreen, audio settings change back to default when a player signs out.
- Any option (such as Score to Win) in a Custom Game lobby does not reset to default when switching game modes. After changing the game mode options in the Custom Game lobby for any game mode, changing to a different mode then changing back to the first mode will still show those changed options. The match will start with default options.
- The first time a Custom Game mode is saved in the Mode Editor, changed Override options are missing when viewing that mode under My Files in the Community tab.
- Some Custom Game options do not apply correctly when the match starts.
- The kill feed sometimes disappears after a short time or will only provide information about the player being observed at the start of the match.
- At the start of a new round in a round-based mode, the Observer mode HUD setting sometimes switches to Hide.
- While watching a film, players who left the match appear as options to follow and prevent swapping between other viewpoints.
- When Halo Infinite officially launches on December 8th, saved films created before then will no longer be viewable.
- After rapidly signing in with multiple splitscreen players, the game can occasionally get stuck on the "Transitioning" step (visible in the top right of the screen) and becomes unable to create a lobby without restarting the game.
- In 4-player splitscreen, the "Return to the Battlefield" warning overlay that appears when a player is out of bounds can appear on the wrong player's screen. Death due to spending too much time out of bounds still happens to the correct player.
- If a player besides player 1 takes control of the game and goes to the Multiplayer menu, using the Back button to back out of the Multiplayer menu does not work.
- In 4-player splitscreen, if a player drops out of the fireteam and the remaining players join a game in progress, one of these players will be unable to play. That player has graphical corruption, is stuck spectating another player, and can be killed by allied players even if friendly fire is off.
- When a splitscreen fireteam member signs out of their Xbox Live account, then signs back into that account, that player cannot rejoin the fireteam within Custom Games or a Multiplayer matchmaking lobby. Restarting the game fixes this.
- When using large numbers of XP Grants at once to gain Battle Pass XP to reach the maximum Battle Pass level, any XP grants that were not needed to reach that level are still consumed.
- Credits purchased within the Microsoft Store while the game is running do not appear in-game until after restarting the game.
- Credits purchased during the scheduled store rollover do not appear until re-opening the Buy Credits section of the Store.
- After pre-purchasing the Campaign within the game, it can take up to a minute before the page updates the Buy button to a Close button.
- Academy, Custom Games, and the Mode Editor menu may not load while disconnected from the internet. When starting the game offline, connecting to the internet while on the main menu does not allow the player to play online. Restarting the game fixes this.
- Plugging in a mouse & keyboard during an active game session on an Xbox console locks the player to a 45 degree look radius. This issue does not occur if the mouse is already plugged in when the game is launched. A restart is required to fix the issue.
- The Horizontal Display Margin and Vertical Display Margin settings do not change these margins on Xbox One consoles.
- When using Keyboard & Mouse on console, mouse input does not work while the game is paused.
- The LAN feature is disabled during the Halo Infinite multiplayer beta. It will be available upon the full launch of the game on December 8th.
Halo Infinite is a likely candidate as one of 2021's best Xbox games, and the surprise launch of its multiplayer beta means players will be able to get their hands on the next Halo chapter even earlier. Bugs and issues aside, Halo Infinite looks to be something special.
A catalog of games
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. Halo Infinite's multiplayer is available now for free, but Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will include the campaign and some multiplayer perks.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.