The magnum in Resident Evil is a staple weapon of the series, guaranteeing critical headshots on regular zombies and dealing heaps of damage to everything else. It returns with gusto in Resident Evil 3, but it's slightly hidden and requires a bit of backtracking. Here's how to make sure you don't miss it.
Warning: If you haven't gotten to the hospital level yet, there may be mild spoilers in this guide.
Pop some skulls
Resident Evil 3
Escape Raccoon City
Resident Evil 3 isn't the longest game in the world, but it is a worthwhile experience for fans of the original. You might want to wait for a sale though, given its 5-7 hour gameplay length.
How to get the Magnum in Resident Evil 3
Eventually, you'll end up in a hospital segment similar to the original Resident Evil 3 on the PlayStation 1. Initially with Carlos, and later with Jill. You won't be able to get the magnum until you resume control of Jill, after playing Carlos' segment in the hospital.
- In the hospital courtyard, you may notice that you can jump from the second-story windows to get items from the different sections. This is the window you need to jump from to get the magnum. However, you need to be on Jill to get it.
- When you resume control of Jill, head to the second floor of the hospital. You'll want to get to this position on the map.
- When you get there, you should see a pile of debris you may have noticed with Carlos. Carlos is too chonky to fit through the gap, but Jill can crawl through.
- When you've crawled through, you can drop down from the corridor window into the courtyard, where you'll find this weapon case.
- Congrats, you now have a badass magnum!
How to get the Extended Barrel in Resident Evil 3
Unlike the shotgun and handgun, the Magnum only has one upgrade in the game, which makes sense since you unlock far later than any other weapon. The Magnum's one upgrade is the Extended Barrel, which increases the gun's already-impressive damage to truly incredible levels. Here's how you can grab it.
- In the Underground Storage area beneath the hospital, there's a control panel you're required to reach.
- You have to find three fuses around the room before getting to this control panel.
- Behind the control panel is a supply box.
- Open it for the Extended Barrel.
- Related: Where and how to get all the handgun upgrades and parts in Resident Evil 3
- Related: How to dodge and parry properly in Resident Evil 3
- Related: How to get the shotgun in Resident Evil 3 Remake
- Where to find all the shotgun upgrades and parts in Resident Evil 3
Rock solid Resident Evil
Although it's a bit short, Resident Evil 3 is a solid remake that provides a healthy dose of zombified nostalgia that's particularly powerful if you played the original. The magnum will help you dispatch the game's more powerful enemies later on in the game, although ammo is scarce, so make those shots count!
Resident Evil 3
Get out of the city
Resident Evil 3 takes Jill Valentine's escape from Raccoon City and brings it up to modern standards, with tight gunplay and action merged with tense survival horror.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.