Launching this month in various markets worldwide, the $245 (219 euros) dual-SIM LTE Lumia 640 XL from Microsoft looks to bring robust hardware at an affordable price to those who want a smartphone with a large display. Coming in a variety of colors, Glance screen, and 1 GB of RAM, the Lumia 640 XL appears to be a substantial replacement for the aging Lumia 1320.
Lumia 640 XL Specifications
- Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
- Windows 10 Ready
- Colors: Matte cyan, orange and black, as well as both matte and glossy white
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (MSM8226), 1.2 GHz quad-core processor
- 5.7" HD (1280x720, 16:9) IPS LCD, 259 PPI, Glance screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Sunlight readability enhancements
- 1GB RAM
- 8 GB internal mass memory + up to 128 GB Micro SD & 30GB free OneDrive cloud storage
- Rear camera: 13 MP AF, 1080p @ 30 fps video (continuous autofocus), Flash: LED, Lumia Camera 5.0 (with Dynamic Flash, HDR)
- Front camera: HD 5 MP wide angle, 1080p video
- Connectivity: BT 4.0, microUSB2.0, Micro SIM, A-GPS+GLONASS, BeiDou, DLNA, Screen cloning with Miracast, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n/
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Proximity, Ambient Light Sensor, SensorCore
- Battery: 3000 mAh (BV-T4B) removable battery
- Weight: 171 g
- Size: 157.9 x 81.5 x 9.0 mm
Microsoft has effectively ditched the Lumia 13xx series for affordable phablets and replaced it with the 'XL' designation. This change is a wise choice by Microsoft, as the Lumia 1320 was always a tad confusing with the 'higher is better' series designation set up by Nokia.
The Lumia 640 XL is a solid device with relatively impressive specifications for a $245 phone with dual-SIM LTE on board (the dual-SIM 3G version is even cheaper at $210, or 189 euros). The best part is it goes on sale this month in various markets.
To sweeten the deal, like the Lumia 640 Microsoft is Microsoft is tossing in a one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote on the Lumia as well as on one PC or Mac and one tablet. The subscription comes with 1TB of OneDrive storage and 60 free minutes of Skype Unlimited Worldwide calling per month.
With a 13 MP rear camera, 5 MP front-facing camera, Glance Screen, SensorCore, 1 GB of RAM and being ready for Windows 10, the Lumia 640 XL is an intriguing phone from Microsoft. The dual-SIM LTE version will indeed make this a viable device for emerging markets and those on a budget who want a quality, large-screened device.
Stay tuned for our hands-on with the Lumia 640 XL and more coverage of Mobile World Congress!
Update 4: Trump gives blessing to TikTok sale to Microsoft
TikTok may soon be owned by Microsoft. The company is reportedly in talks to buy out the U.S. portion of TikTok amid a rumored Trump administration order for TikTok owner Bytedance to divest. On Monday, President Trump says he does not oppose the sale so long as it is done by September 15.
Microsoft Edge is about to let you use Chrome themes from the web store
Microsoft Edge being built on Chromium has its advantages, mainly in that you an take advantage of Chrome's vast library of extensions. In the latest example of this, Microsoft has started allowing Edge users in the Dev channel install themes from the Chrome web store.
Need a new laptop to run VR? Here are the best devices out there now.
Using a laptop to power your VR system makes it easy to take it with you wherever you go. Not just any laptop is going to work for VR, though, so we rounded up your best options right here.
Buy one of these gaming PCs to play Microsoft Flight Simulator
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is a demanding game and it needs quite the PC to run it comfortably. If you don't have a PC yet dedicated to gaming, you'll want to pick from one of these to really bring the cockpit to life.