What you need to know
- Microsoft will no longer force Bing as the default search engine for Office 365 ProPlus customers.
- Microsoft was going to forcibly install the Microsoft Search in Bing extension onto any system with Office 365 ProPlus that didn't already have Bing set as the default search engine.
- The change by Microsoft is in response to customer feedback.
Microsoft will no longer forcibly make Bing the default search engine in Chrome for Office 365 ProPlus customers. A techcommunity post from Microsoft announced the change. Microsoft states that people will have the choice to opt-in to have the Microsoft Search in Bing browser extension installed.
Microsoft was going to install the Microsoft Search Bing extension onto any system with Office 365 ProPlus that didn't already have Bing set as the default search engine. This would have effectively forced Bing onto Office 365 ProPlus customers. The move set off waves of backlash around the web, which caused Microsoft to change its plans. As a result of feedback from customers, Microsoft will make the following changes:
- The Microsoft Search in Bing browser extension will not be automatically deployed with Office 365 ProPlus.
- Through a new toggle in Microsoft 365 admin center, administrators will be able to opt in to deploy the browser extension to their organization through Office 365 ProPlus.
- In the near term, Office 365 ProPlus will only deploy the browser extension to AD-joined devices, even within organizations that have opted in. In the future we will add specific settings to govern the deployment of the extension to unmanaged devices.
- We will continue to provide end users who receive the extension with control over their search engine preference.
As a result of these changes, the Microsoft Search in Bing extension will not ship with Version 2002 of Office 365 ProPlus.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Everything we know about Resident Evil Village (so far)
Capcom's next survival-horror title is Resident Evil Village. This eerie game takes players to a snowy European village where Ethan must deal with witches, werewolves and more. Here's everything we know.
Review: The ThinkPad X13 Yoga doesn't do much new compared to the X390 Yoga
The X13 Yoga is a bridge between the budget L13 Yoga and premium X1 Yoga, but it crosses over in both directions. We take a look at who it's for and whether or not it's worth the dough.
Review: HP's Spectre x360 15 is gorgeous, but battery life disappoints
The HP Spectre x360 15 is a unique laptop, not only in its design, but because it's the only recent convertible available in this size. The 2020 model sweetens the deal even more with a vibrant, nearly borderless display and snappy performance. Is it worth the high price, though? Let's take a look.
16 must-have 3D printing accessories for use with resin printers
3D printing with resin is a lot more complicated than standard FDM printing, and there are significant safety concerns. To get it right you need to have the right equipment.