What you need to know
- Minecraft: Bedrock Edition has been testing a handful of new features and lots of bug fixes for 1.17 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part One for weeks now.
- Today, Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.17.10 is officially rolling out to players on all platforms with these new changes in tow.
- Highlights of the update include the addition of candles, potted azalea, and a plethora of bug fixes and general improvements.
- Experimental feature testing for 1.18 'Caves and Cliffs Update' Part Two also makes it debut in this update.
Minecraft recently released the 1.17.1 update for Minecraft: Java Edition, which was a pretty standard patch update with very little to get excited about. Today, the Bedrock Edition is seeking to one-up its bigger sibling with the release of Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.17.10 to the public, which includes a huge number of bug fixes, several new features, and a way to begin testing some experimental upcoming features. Rolling out to players now, the 1.17.10 update gives players a few reasons to be excited.
The highlight of this update is certainly the two new features onboard, including candles and decorative potted azalea. Both of these features are already present in Minecraft: Java Edition, and were likely meant to be a part of 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One. Either way, they're here now and they look awesome (especially candles). There are also a huge number of fixes and general improvements to make the Caves and Cliffs Update more stable.
Finally, players who are eager to begin playing with features from the upcoming 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two release (expected to drop sometime this winter) can rejoice, as Minecraft: Bedrock Edition's "Experimental Features" toggle includes a host of exciting features from that update.
In case you missed it, I recently discussed why Minecraft is the greatest game ever made. As one of the best Xbox games and best games in general, Minecraft fans have a lot of ways to celebrate, including with our list of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition 1.17.10 includes:
- Candles are now available in the game!
- Can be placed in clusters up to four and lit using Flint & Steel
- Put a Candle on a Cake and make a wish!
- Candles can be crafted using a Honeycomb and String
- Combine with dye on a crafting grid to craft different colored Candles
- Added potted Azalea and Flowering Azalea variants
- Just place an Azalea in a Flower Pot!
1.18 Experimental Features toggle
- Experimental features from Caves & Cliffs: Part II are available in this update and can be enabled on the world creation screen!
- Please keep in mind that these features are work in progress, still under in development, and subject to change. If you activate them, your world might crash, break, or not work with future updates. Experimental features cannot be turned off after world creation
- World height now goes up to 320 blocks and down to -64 blocks
- New surface biomes including Lofty Peaks, Snow Capped Peaks, Snowy Slopes, Mountain Grove, and Mountain Meadow
- New cave biomes including Lush Caves and Dripstone Caves
- Revamped cave generation adds cheese caves, spaghetti caves, lava aquifers, and flooded aquifer caves
- New ore distribution
- Skulk Sensor
- Goat Horn
Performance & stability
- Fixed a crash that could occur if a structure was placed with a command in an unloaded area and that structure was deleted
- Underwater fog is once again dependent on biome and appears as it should
- Fixed a bug that could cause Nether Portals to sometimes take players to wrong coordinates
- Fixed split-screen players not able to rename items on Anvils
- Thunderstorms now happen as often as Java Edition
- Bastion loot now closely matches Java Edition
- Players can no longer swim through the air under a platform, though it looked pretty cool
- Fixed players going through Cobwebs taking fall damage before hitting the ground
- Descending through Powder Snow with touch controls now uses the same button as descending through Scaffolding
- Fixed an issue that was causing the player's head to not animate properly with emotes
- Empty Buckets can no longer be used to collect Fish
- Axolotls no longer move their tails while playing dead
- Feeding Axolotls with Bucket of Tropical Fish now returns a Water Bucket instead of an empty Bucket
- Axolotls now only spawn in complete darkness to prevent spawning in unwanted places
- The hitbox on Axolotls is now smaller to match the size of the mob
- Drowned, Guardians, and Elder Guardians now attacks Axolotls on sight
- Skeletons now turn into Strays after 20 seconds in Powder Snow, reduced from 45 seconds
- Strays no longer drop Wither Skeleton Skulls when killed by Charged Creepers
- Burning mobs can no longer destroy Powder Snow when the Mob Griefing world option is disabled
- Tempted Goats now move at the same speed as goats in Java Edition, and other similar mobs that are being tempted
- When Goats are performing a ram attack, mobs no longer retaliate against the Goats
- Goat fall damage reduction is now in parity with Java Edition (-10 reduced fall damage)
- Goats can now continue ramming when on Slime Blocks and Honey Blocks
- Baby Sea Turtles no longer despawn after being hatched
- Baby Horses, including their variants, are now taller and no longer exhibit Z-fighting from their legs
- Iron Golems and Evokers are no longer sometimes aggressive on Peaceful difficulty
- Amphibious mobs no longer get stuck when pathing over slabs and Daylight Sensors
- Attacked Glow Squids no longer go dark only for the aggressor in multiplayer sessions
- Glow Squid now darkens to match the surrounding light level when hurt
- Villagers spawned from Villager spawners on Marketplace worlds that were created after version 1.11 now correctly spawn as V2 villagers
- Fixed a warning that could appear in split-screen when encountering Guardians
- Falling Anvils and Stalactites now deal damage to mobs when landing in liquid
- Azaleas can now be Bone Mealed when placed on Clay
- Using Pick Block on Azalea Leaves and Flowering Azalea Leaves now results in the correct blocks being picked
- Hanging Roots are now destroyed by water
- Lightning Rods no longer break falling blocks that land on them
- Rooted Dirt texture is now randomly rotated, matching the behavior of regular Dirt blocks
- Small Dripleaf now only drops itself when broken with Shears
- Glow Lichen now only drops itself when broken with Shears
- Jukeboxes now only ejects Music Disks into non-solid blocks
- Projectiles, such as Snowballs and Eggs, no longer cast shadows
- All dropped items now have a similar floating height
- Disenchanting an item using the Grindstone once again resets the enchantment cost penalty correctly
- Data-driven items now swing faster when not targeting blocks
- Firework Rockets obtained from
/replaceitemcommand now have a flight duration
- Firework Stars obtained from
/replaceitemcommand now have proper color values
- Glowing text on Signs now has an outline
- Black text on Signs can now be lit by using a Glow Ink Sac
- Tooltips are now present when holding Ink Sac and Glow Ink Sac when using a controller
- Ink Sac and Glow Ink Sac can no longer be used indefinitely on signs in Adventure mode
- Players can no longer dye text on Signs in Adventure mode
- Pumpkins are once again accepted by Farmer Villagers regardless of their rotation when mined
- Glow Item Frame is now placed after regular Item Frame in the Creative inventory
- Copper Ore is now placed after other Overworld ores in the Creative inventory
- Deepslate is now placed after other stones in the Creative inventory
- Hotbar item tooltip duration now scales with the length of the tooltip's text
- Added a new Accessibility icon in the Settings menu
- Items can now be previewed in the Character Creator and equipped using the Equip button
- Added Equip button to Classic Skins and Capes tabs
- The profile screen reload button is now properly localized to all supported languages
- The "Reset to Default" button in the Accessibility settings now resets the Text Background Opacity slider
- Fixed a typo in the "Loom" section of "How to Play"
- The counters on empty tabs of the Play screen now display zero instead of an empty, grey box
- Featured Item thumbnails now fit within the Featured Items window in Character Creator
- When not signed into a Microsoft Account, players are now presented with a button prompting them to sign in on the Play screen so that they can view Realms
- Realms Plus content expiration timers now appear properly
- Realms Plus timers now only appear within 30 days of expiring
/title clearnow correctly clears the title and subtitle from the HUD
- Frosted Ice can now be used in any command that accepts a block, such as
Updated add-on template packs
- Updated Add-On templates for 1.17.10 are available for download with new resources, behaviors, and documentation
Stability & performance
- Added better error handling for JSON parsing. Also added several new content errors for item parsing as well as for loot tables
- Players are given a content error when custom recipes are invalid
minecraft:block_climber. It now processes climbing both Scaffolding and Powder Snow
- Loot chests with Seed=0 now correctly randomize if placed on the same coordinates. Note that Pick Blocking a Vanilla loot chest before opening it will now result in identical loot in each copy unless the seed is set to 0 in the NBT
- Added back missing symbols for Bedrock Dedicated Server on Linux
- Content creators can now create multi-page dialogues with branching narrative for NPCs using the
/dialoguecommand and dialogue JSON files
- The Ender Dragon rendering and animations are now fully data-driven
- The Ender Crystal rendering and animations are now fully data-driven
- The Horse rendering and animations are now fully data-driven
- This work supports all Horse variants (Horse, Mule, Donkey, Zombie Horse, Skeleton Horse) and all Horse versions including:
- v1 (engine version 1.2.5 and earlier)
- v2 (engine version 1.2.6 to 1.17.0)
- v3 (engine version 1.17.10 and onward). This will be a cleaner version of the v2 model, with less confusing bone naming
- Updated documentation for
Updated documentation for
- Incoming client-sync properties for newly seen types will properly register with client-side Actor Property Manager groups
query.wing_flap_positionnow works with the Ender Dragon
query.show_bottom- a query for determining whether or not the entity's bottom is rendered
query.death_time- a query for determining the elapsed ticks since a mob started dying
math.min_angle- a math expression for minimizing the angle magnitude (in degrees) into the range (-180, 180)
- Fixed experimental
query.targetto work on client-side queries
- Limits writing of chunks unless necessary. Chunks upgraded from older formats will not automatically save when loaded, but when modified (Through blocks or actors, for example) they will be marked for saving
- Updated the
/clearallcommand to also clear tests outside of loaded areas
getEntitiesAtBlockLocation(location : BlockLocation) : Entity- Returns an array of all entities at the given block location
spawnEntity(identifier : String, location : BlockLocation) : Entity- Spawns an entity with the given identifier at the given block location
- (Removed) function
property id : String- Gets the entity's identifier
property nameTag : String- Gets or sets the entity's name tag
property name : String- Gets the player's name
getPlayers() : Player- Returns all players in the server
- Updates to how blocks are handled in APIs:
- BlockType, BlockPermutation, and Block instances replace BlockState-based updating
- Exposed chest block component and Container
- Added location and velocity read-only properties to Entity
createExplosion(location : Location, radius : number, explosionOptions : ExplosionOptions)- Creates an explosion
ExplosionOptions : class- Provides additional configuration parameters for
triggerEvent(eventName : string)- Triggers an event on an entity
GameTestSequence, which repeatedly calls the callback for the specified number of ticks
- Added event
World.event.addEffect- Fires when an effect is applied to an entity.
- Added event
World.event.createEntity- Fires when an entity is added to the world.
- (Removed) function
- Changed function
- Changed function
- Added property
displayName- Gets the display name of the effect
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.