If you enjoy mirroring your Windows Phone to your TV, the Fire TV Stick is a great option for doing so. And it has so many benefits over a Miracast adapter, especially if you don't use any other set-top boxes or something like an Xbox One.
I'll admit I didn't look into any details on the Fire TV Stick before picking one up. Aside from knowing it runs Android, has a bunch of UK specific on-demand content apps, Netflix and all the Amazon digital ecosystem, it's just a low-cost way of having said services in my bedroom. So imagine the surprise when I discovered it's also a pretty nifty way to mirror my Windows Phone to the TV. If this sounds tempting, here's how you do it. Do note that not all Windows Phones support screen mirroring.
- On the Fire TV Stick, hold down the Home button on the remote.
- Select the "Mirroring" option to prepare the device.
- Open up "Settings" on your Windows Phone.
- Scroll down until you find the "project my screen" option.
- You should now see your Fire TV Stick as an option to pair with.
- Tap to pair and you should see your Windows Phone display appear on your TV!
Miracast dongle's aren't the most common thing around and when you consider Microsoft's own will set you back £60 in the UK, the current promo price of £25 (regular RRP is £35) makes this all the more tempting. And you have the added bonus of being able to do a whole bunch of stuff (even play Crossy Road) on the Fire TV Stick without your phone attached.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.