We heard rumours of this app being in development as far back as early last year but it is now available to download for Windows Phone. RSA securID tokens should be familiar to many who work remotely, they allow business to secure access to their systems.
The app is an important addition to the business credentials Windows Phone now exhibits as a platform for work and play. Having the token on a users smartphone allows IT departments to stop giving out expensive hardware fobs to its mobile workers. The app is compatible with devices running Windows Phone 7.5 and Windows Phone 8. Read on to find out more.
RSA SecurID has been on the Windows Phone Store since mid-last month and is still in its version 1.0 guise. The app is free to download but you’ll need to contact your workplace admin or helpdesk to assist in getting it all set up. As with all tokens of this type once the backend configuration is done by your workplace IT dept. it will work in a similar way to the physical fob you used in the past.
Here is what they have to say about the release
"Make your Windows Phone device a convenient, cost-effective RSA SecurID® authenticator. RSA SecurID two-factor authentication is based on something you have (an authenticator) and something you know (a PIN) — providing a much more reliable level of user authentication than reusable, easy-to-guess passwords. This app, when provided with a software token, generates one-time passwords for accessing network resources. After downloading and installing the app on your mobile device, contact your IT administrator for instructions on how to get your unique RSA SecurID Software Token Record. The application will not generate one-time passwords without completing this step."
Here is a list of features of the app
- Strong two-factor authentication to protected services
- Support for up to 10 RSA SecurID tokens per device
- Application available for download through the Windows Phone Store
- Support for Dynamic Seed Provisioning (CT-KIP) (Requires RSA Authentication Manager 7.1)
- Support for copying the tokencode/passcode
- Support for software tokens that emulate the authentication experience of users with RSA SecurID Hardware Authenticators
- Support for file-based provisioning using RSA SecurID Software Token Converter
- Support for Landscape mode
- Note: Requires 128-bit (AES) software tokens. No support for 64-bit (SID) software tokens.
- Currently Shipping Version RSA SecurID Software Token 1.0 for Windows Phone
- Storage Requirements 3.5 MB of available memory on Windows Phone device
- Required Components Windows Phone 8.0 (backwards compatible to 7.5)
- RSA Authentication Manager (6.1 or 7.1) or RSA SecurID Authentication Engine for Java (2.6 or 2.8)
- Optional Components RSA SecurID Software Token Converter for provisioning file-based tokens
- Download the Software Token Converter
- Ordering Options AES (128-bit) token seeds available in six-month and 1-, 2-, 3-, 4-, 5- and 10-year lifetime configurations.
- RSA SecurID Software Token for Windows Phone is available free of charge through the Windows Phone Store. Search for "SecurID" oin the "Business" category. Token seeds are available through RSA sales channels.
The adoption of Windows Phone in business is still a key area where Microsoft and its partners can gain more market share. Apps like this are essential for the platform to be taken seriously and form an important milestone for the platform as it matures.
We’d like to hear from you if you’re a remote worker and using this app and also from any Sys Admins out there who are thinking of pushing this out to workers. Let us know in comments below.
You can download the app from the Windows Phone Store here or scan the QR code below.
ROCCAT Vulcan AIMO 120 keyboard review: Apparently, keyboards can be sexy.
I'm a sucker for brushed metal. The ROCCAT Vulcan AIMO 120 keyboard delivers brushed metal in droves, with some of the most satisfying key presses I've ever experienced. This is a truly great keyboard.
Review: HONOR MagicBook 14 is a fun, low-cost notebook with one drawback
Those on a budget with just $550 may want to consider HONOR's MagicBook 14. While it runs a last-gen AMD Ryzen processor, the core features of this notebook are better than most in this price range. Here's our quick review of why you should (and shouldn't) get this affordable laptop.
Intel's 11th Gen Tiger Lake CPU lineup launching September 2
Intel is ready to enter September with a bang. The company invited members of the press to an event set for September 2, where we're likely to see it launch its 11th Gen CPU lineup, codenamed Tiger Lake.
Make the most of what little office space you have
Many people are facing having to work in tighter spaces, whether it be in a home office, or a small office. Need to save on space? These solutions from Dell Technologies help you get productivity without taking up too much room.