What you need to know
- The Surface Laptop Go recently received a firmware update.
- A Windows 11 feature that improves battery life now works with the Surface Laptop Go.
- The update also improves the stability of the device and addresses several bugs.
Microsoft's Surface Laptop Go just received a firmware update that improves the stability and battery life of the device. Following the update, the laptop will be able to take advantage of a Windows 11 feature that improves battery life.
Here are the changes in the latest Surface Laptop Go update for devices running the Windows 10 May 2020 Update or greater:
- Improves device stability [by] addressing bugcheck.
- Improves graphics stability and enables [Windows] 11 feature to improve battery life.
Microsoft details the components that have been updated in a support page:
|Windows Update History||Device Manager|
|Intel Corporation – Display - 126.96.36.19921||Intel UHD Graphics – Display|
|Intel Corporation Ext – 188.8.131.5221||Intel UHD Graphics – Extension|
|Surface - Surface System Management - 184.108.40.206||Surface SMF - Surface System Management|
The changelog does not specify how the Surface Laptop Go will have better battery life after the update. The support page mentions a "Windows 11 feature" that is enabled, but does not list which feature that is.
Back in September 2021, a Microsoft Mechanics video explained why some devices running Windows 11 would run better than if they were on Windows 10. Several features work in conjuction to improve performance, including the OS prioritizing apps in the foreground. There's a chance that one of the features outlined in that video plays a part in the recent improvement of the Surface Laptop Go's battery life.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.