What you need to know
- Windows 10 build 19023 is now available for Insiders on the Fast ring.
- This 20H1 test build mostly brings fixes and improvements, but Microsoft is also experimenting with how it delivers optional driver updates.
- The 19023 update is available to download now via Windows Update for Fast ring Insiders.
A new Windows 10 20H1 Insider build is available for testers on the Fast ring. Coming in at build number 19023, this update is mostly about general fixes and improvements. However, Microsoft is also experimenting with how it delivers optional driver updates.
Through an experiment that runs through November 25, Windows Insiders running build 18980 or newer will not have optional driver updates automatically delivered through Windows Update. To install optional driver updates during this period, you'll have to manually download them by seeking them out through the "optional updates" portion of Windows Update.
Here's a look at the rest of what's in build 19023.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We resolved an issue where, if a build attempted to download and install before you had completed the first log in of a prior install (such as Build 19013), you would experience a 2-hour window before you could install this new build.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a lag processing input when running a video fullscreen.
- We fixed an issue where the quick action section in the Action Center was slightly off-center in the last few builds.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Cortana's voice activation setting switching from on back to off after explorer.exe restarted, or if you rebooted your PC.
- Just a reminder for Insiders, that as of the previous flight, based on feedback, we've decided to remove the downloads folder from Disk Cleanup. If you liked having this option, it's still available via Storage Settings.
- We've identified an issue preventing Sandbox and WDAG from working. If you rely on these features, you may consider pausing updates before taking this build. We know what's causing this issue, and we're working hard to get another flight out with the fix as quickly as possible.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
- We've heard that Settings still isn't available outside of launching via the URI (ms-settings:) for some Insiders and are investigating.
- Some Insiders are reporting that after successfully installing printer drivers from the Optional Updates section, the same driver is still showing as available for install. We're looking into the issue.
- We're investigating reports that certain fingerprint readers are no longer working as of Build 19013. If you're impacted, for now you'll need to log in with a password instead–appreciate your patience.
Microsoft is gearing up to finish up development on Windows 10 20H1 ahead of its release in the first half of 2020, following today's launch of the November 2019 Update. In the meantime, well likely see more fixes and improvements hit the Fast ring for testing.
If you're on the Fast ring, you can snag build 19023 through Windows Update now.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
'Zelter' for PC is the Stardew Valley apocalypse I didn't know I wanted
Zelter just hit early access, and it's a pretty cool concept. But boy oh boy, it's pretty rough right now. Here are some thoughts on this latest entry in the zombie apocalypse survival genre.
Xbox lead Phil Spencer talks Game Pass 'Platinum' and TV streaming devices
Could Project xCloud come direct to television without a console? Never say never, says Phil Spencer.
Our comprehensive list of all Xbox Series X Optimized games
A complete list of Xbox Series X Optimized games confirmed so far, including their plans to support 4K resolution, HDR, high FPS gameplay, ray tracing, and Smart Delivery.
Best Online Fax Services 2020
If you need to do some faxing but you don't want to shell out the money for a fax machine of your own, online fax services are the way to go. Here are some of our favorites.