Windows 10 build 14385 now available for PC and mobile for fast ring Insiders
Yep, you're not dreaming. Microsoft just pushed the button to drop yet ANOTHER Insider Preview build, on a weekend of all things! I'd almost call that rude, but we Insiders are willing to accept new bits any day of the week. Today's drop is build 14385, for PC and mobile, and includes lots of new bug fixes.
From the official blog post:
Improvements and fixes for PC
- You should no longer see a notification pop-up once a day saying that your Windows evaluation copy expires on 7/15/2016. I know this has caused a lot of you some angst so thank you for being patient.
- We have improved battery life for Surface devices.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Spotify sometimes crashing while playing music.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Google Chrome window being clipped on the top when maximized.
- We fixed an issue with Mobile Hotspot that could result the host device bug-checking (bluescreen) and rebooting if it was sharing on a 5GHz band and the connected device browsed to certain websites.
- We fixed an issue where the pin prompt shown when connecting to certain VPNs would display behind the other open windows.
- We fixed an issue resulting in LastPass and AdBlock extensions for Microsoft Edge not showing the expected context menu items or status information in subsequently opened Edge windows. We also fixed an issue where the current tab in Edge might hang after exiting Web Notes.
- Projecting to a PC auto-discoverability is off by default. To have your PC beacon so it can be discovered and you can project to it through the Connect quick action from a Continuum enabled phone or another PC, go to Settings > System > Projecting to this PC and set "Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it's OK" to "Available everywhere" or "Available everywhere on secure networks". You can also set other settings on this page to your preference.
Improvements and fixes for Mobile
- You can open PDFs in Microsoft Edge and use touch to interact with the PDF (such as scrolling, pan or zoom) again without it constantly reloading the PDF
- We have improved battery life for older devices, such as the Lumia 830, 930, and 1520.
- We fixed an issue where setting the SIM name on a dual SIM phone would sometimes fail.
Known issues for PC
- A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.
- After you install this build on a PC using a non-EN-US language, you may get error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the "For Developers" Settings Page. Even after seeing this error message, your machine is in developer mode and you should still be able to use Visual Studio to develop Universal Windows Applications. In most cases, this error indicates that extra components required by the operating system to enable additional debugging features in Visual Studio or the Windows Device Portal could not be installed automatically. To fix this:
- Go to Settings > System.
- Click on "Apps & features"
- Choose "Manage Optional features"
- Press the button "Add a feature"
- Select the package for Windows Developer Mode
- Click "Install"
- Reboot your PC
- Launch Command Prompt as Administrator
- Run: sc config debugregsvc start=auto
Finally, return to the "For Developers" Settings page. You will still see the error code, 0x80004005 but you should now be able to enable Windows Device Portal and the Device Discovery features.
Known issues for mobile:
- Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. We heard your feedback and are working actively on this.
- The keyboard doesn't show up consistently for InPrivate mode on Microsoft Edge. We're working on this. A workaround is to click on the Microsoft privacy statement hyperlink on that page and then the keyboard works in the search/address bar. We're working on fixing this.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won't restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn't overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds.
Microsoft are currently in sign-off mode for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, meaning all these builds are pretty much identical to what the public will be getting on August second, minus the few remaining bugs that Microsoft are squishing. My insider sources say Microsoft is aiming to have a final build for the Anniversary Update sign-off on by Friday the 15th, so at some point next week.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Zac Bowden is a Senior Editor at Windows Central. Bringing you exclusive coverage into the world of Windows on PCs, tablets, phones, and more. Also an avid collector of rare Microsoft prototype devices! Keep in touch on Twitter: @zacbowden.
It would stay connected with No Internet written on the toggle. Disconnect - Connect doesn't work and only a restart fixes it.
On my 640, the Feedback Hub has been in Pending since 4-5 builds.
And the battery life has deteriorated since the last build. It used to be 1day 2hours or something two builds back. Now at the same 100% charge, it says 15 hours remaining.
Obviously things hv changed drastically from 10586 to 14385..... The numeric difference is d proof.
Yes, battery performance is the issue for 3rd gen Lumias
As for the Skype issue; do you have the beta UWP installed or the regular app? If you do, this is your issue and you can grab the package from XDA to reinstall it.
Had similar issue with UWP MS apps quite a few builds back and a hard reset fixed it.
Remainder spelling wrong in issues for mobile
*the hotspot connection, that couldn't do well at least at bench mark.
we are using windows sw with the expectation that we had amazed in seeing our computer performance.
what the changes you makes that has done android or BB 4 or 5 years back.
you are telling that bcos of windows wp restriction. After wp 8.1 there were more than enough time to mould it. Over 2 and half years.I thing wp sw trying to make sw in differentway. It'sgreat and appreciated. But There has to met basic need with a phone for our ws lovers. Its already time lapsed you might thing differently. When I bought windows phone I have proud that I gonne buy something more than phone or BB. Bcos. The name WINDOWS . But now. Very disappointed.. Sorry.
Not recommend to update. Really frustrated with what they claimed.
Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
Why waste development time on google?
How did they manage to break this app
Otherwise great build.
Till then m happy with 8.1