Following the recent public release of the Xbox fall update, Xbox Insiders are now receiving a new wave of features as a part of the subsequent upcoming release. A new Xbox One update is rolling out to members of the Alpha preview ring, delivering a batch of features as a part of the first 1711 build. Among these features is a wider rollout of Xbox One digital game gifting, improvements to the console setup experience and various other enhancements across the Xbox dashboard.
The biggest of these new additions is the formal introduction of digital game gifting – a feature that first appeared for select Xbox Insiders earlier this month. Through the feature, digital Xbox One games can be distributed to friends over Xbox Live, which sends a redeemable code via email. There are some minor restrictions to gifting to prevent abuse of the system, however for many, should be a easy way to treat friends.
This latest also introduces new features surrounding the Xbox One set-up experience, in preparation for the upcoming Xbox One. Now, console settings can finally be backed up to the cloud, expanding on a local feature first introduced in a recent update. TV & OneGuide settings are now also included as a part of this backup process – allowing users to easily transfer various preferences between their existing console and the Xbox One X. Furthermore, new functionality in the Xbox app for iOS and Android makes it easier to setup up your Xbox One X, allowing the setup process to be handed off to a mobile device.
Beyond these features, the latest build brings various other refinements, including miniature Game Hubs for the Xbox Guide menu and new notification options for the idle notification system. Alongside all these features, various fixes are being implemented across the dashboard. Scroll down for a look at the full changelog for this build, via Microsoft.
OS version released: rs3_release_xbox_dev_1711.171024-1923
Available: 2:00PM PDT 10/27 (9:00PM GMT 27/10)
We are now releasing the first Preview Alpha 1711 build.
Here's a sneak peek at what to expect in 1711:
- For Xbox Insiders in the Alpha ring, the Microsoft Store now enables gifting of select digital Xbox One games, "durable" downloadable content (DLC) (map packs, weapon skins, etc.), Xbox Live Gold, and Xbox Game Pass—right from your console! Just choose a game within the Store, select "Buy as Gift," and send it to your friends or family members by picking their Gamertag or entering their email address. NOTE: Digital gifting will be enabled for Preview Alpha @ 1:00PM PDT on 10/27 and is not tied to the system update. Please see Digital Gifting below for more information.
- In addition to games and friends, you will soon be able to add club blocks to Home. We're also making it easier to explore additional types of blocks at the bottom of Home by adding a new section under "Add More."
- We're improving the setup experience to make it better for both new users and upgraders. The settings from your home console will now be saved to the cloud, just like your game saves. Whenever you set up a new console, you will have the option of applying these settings during the sign-in process.
- Additionally, your console will now back up even more settings, including your TV & OneGuide settings. This expansion will provide a simple experience when you transition from one console to another using the settings backup to your external games and apps storage device.
- The Xbox app for iOS and Android will now enable you to finish setting up your new Xbox One X console while it's downloading the day one update. Additionally, we've also improved the process for enabling 4K output right out of the box.
- Xbox's new notifications provide an at-a-glance status of what activities you can immediately step into after you've had to step out for a moment. We're adding additional notifications types when your system goes idle, including LFG posts, broadcasts, and Achievements.
- We're adding miniature Game Hubs for your most recently used games in the Guide. That way, you can access the great content on a game hub without having to leave the action.
- Adults who have enabled the "Buy & download" online safety setting will now have an easier time purchasing games thanks to a passkey/password challenge directly in the Xbox dashboard.
- We've heard your feedback! Games with no unlocked achievements can now be hidden from the personal and public view of your profile.
These features will roll out to Xbox Insiders over the next few weeks. Insiders can check the release notes within the Xbox Insider Hub for more details, or navigate to the Xbox Insider forums at forums.xbox.com.
- Resolved an issue which sometimes prevented content blocks from being added to Home.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes caused party chat to unexpectedly disconnect.
- Miscellaneous improvements for party chat stability.
- Resolved an issue which could cause the console to get stuck displaying video content in 24hz after playing a Blu-Ray.
- Resolved an issue which caused 3D Blu-Rays to play in 2D.
- Fixed an issue which caused Dolby Atmos settings to reset after resuming from connected standby.
- The left and right navigation for selecting date and time during Tournament creation is currently reversed when the console language is set to Arabic or Hebrew.
- Left and right navigation in Tournament twists is reversed when the console language is set to Arabic or Hebrew.
- Left and right navigation in the bracket view of Tournaments is reversed when the console language is set to Arabic or Hebrew.
Avatars on Home
- Users wishing to represent themselves as an avatar can do so by changing their settings under My profile > Customize profile > Show my avatar.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.