The Lumia 640 XL is a mid-range Windows Phone announced by Microsoft at Mobile World Congress on March 2, 2015. It is the larger version of the Lumia 640, co-announced at Barcelona, Spain.
The Lumia 640 XL looks to replace the Lumia 1320, which was announced in late 2013. The main idea behind both phones is to deliver a Windows Phone with a large display but at an affordable price. Microsoft has reduced the size of the screen from 6-inches to 5.7-inches, which they feel is the "sweet spot" for this category.
The Lumia 640 XL improves upon the Lumia 1320 in numerous ways, including larger rear and front-facing cameras (13 MP and 5 MP, respectively), 1 GB of RAM to run all games, thinner, and a more modern design.
The Lumia 640 XL comes in single-SIM 3G, dual-SIM 3G, and dual-SIM LTE variants, depending on the market. The phone is launching at around 189 euros ($210 USD) for 3G and 219 euros ($245 USD) for LTE, before taxes and subsidies. Worldwide availability is slated for March, 2015.
Additionally, Microsoft is including a one-year subscription to Office 365 Personal, which can be used on a PC, Mac, or tablet. This offer is in addition to the Office suite included on the Lumia 640 XL.
Lumia 640 XL Specifications
- Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim
- Windows 10 Ready
- Colors: Matte cyan, orange and black, as well as both matte and glossy white
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (MSM8226), 1.2 GHz quad-core processor
- 5.7" HD (1280x720, 16:9) IPS LCD, 259 PPI, Glance screen, Corning Gorilla Glass 3, Sunlight readability enhancements
- 1GB RAM
- 8 GB internal mass memory + up to 128 GB Micro SD & 30GB free OneDrive cloud storage
- Rear camera: 13 MP AF, 1080p @ 30 fps video (continuous autofocus), Flash: LED, Lumia Camera 5.0 (with Dynamic Flash, HDR)
- Front camera: HD 5 MP wide angle, 1080p video
- Connectivity: BT 4.0, microUSB2.0, Micro SIM, A-GPS+GLONASS, BeiDou, DLNA, Screen cloning with Miracast, WLAN 802.11 b/g/n/
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Proximity, Ambient Light Sensor, SensorCore
- Battery: 3000 mAh (BV-T4B) removable battery
- Weight: 171 g
- Size: 157.9 x 81.5 x 9.0 mm