Update: The refreshed Maps may only be available to those on the Insider Preview Release and not Production. If that is the case, we may still be a few weeks out before general release.
After a few months of testing, Microsoft has published their new Maps experience and redesign to all Windows 10 Mobile devices. Previously, only phones on the Fast or Slow Insider Ring were able to experience the complete UI redesign along with a new driving experience. Microsoft had announced the revamp back in March and just two months later it is completed and ready for prime time.
Today's update takes the build from v4.1603.1190 to 5.1603.1300.0 and although it is live for Mobile we do not yet see it for PC, although that will likely change soon.
Some of the features of the re-released Maps app include the addition of labels for search results, along with the ability to minimize searches, directions, and location info. Your favorite locations will now be accessible even if you're offline, and it's now easier to follow public transit routes thanks to detailed instructions. The full changelog is listed below:
- You can now minimize search results, directions, and location info to enjoy more of the map, while keeping them in easy reach.
- We added search to 3D cities so you no longer have to scroll to find the city you're looking for.
- Your favorites are now available offline so you can truly enjoy your offline maps and take advantage of all the places you have saved. You can also add notes to your favorites to keep track of things you want to remember about that place.
- When Cortana is enabled, you will receive turn-by-turn directions in Cortana's voice, currently supported for English (United States), English (United Kingdom), Simplified Chinese (China), French (France), Italian (Italy), German (Germany) and Spanish (Spain).
- We've made it easier for you to follow your public transit route and know when it's time to get off the bus with updated turn-by-turn instructions.
- And finally, based on the greatest amount of user feedback we've made improvements to the UI of turn-by-turn instructions to improve glanceability and the layout in landscape mode.
Head to the Store to grab the latest update or hit up the link below. Let us know what you think of the new Maps in comments!
Thanks, everyone for the tips!
Read more about the Maps update at the Windows Experience Blog.