Which laptops are the most secure?
Updated March 7, 2017: We've refreshed this list to include a bunch of new laptops, updated versions of existing laptops, and some new standalone options when it comes to Hello-compatible cameras.
Windows Hello is a biometric security system that uses either a biometrically-enabled camera or a fingerprint reader to log you into your Windows 10 device. Windows Hello is easy to set up when you have the correct hardware — here's a list of the best laptops that support Windows Hello with either a camera or a fingerprint reader.
- The best laptops with Windows Hello
- Standalone Intel RealSense camera
- Razer Stargazer
- Logitech BRIO 4K webcam
- Tobii EyeX tracker
- Best fingerprint scanners compatible with Windows Hello
The best laptops with Windows Hello
The list of laptops compatible with Windows Hello continues to grow. Here are some of the overall best based on whether or not they're using a compatible camera or a fingerprint reader.
Looking for more laptops that support Windows Hello? Check out our complete list.
Windows Hello facial recognition
- Alienware 17 — True desktop performance with an NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU and a big, beautiful screen.
- Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 — 7th-gen processor, touch display, and a convertible design starting at about $750.
- Dell Latitude 15 3000 — A durable 15-inch business partner.
- HP Spectre x360 — Our review names it the best 13-inch ultrabook on the market.
- HP OMEN 17t — 7th-gen processor, plenty of power, and a big display.
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga — Convertible design, beautiful display, ThinkPad quality. Also available with a fingerprint reader.
- Microsoft Surface Book — Microsoft's premiere laptop.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 4 — A powerful 2-in-1 device that makes as good of a laptop as it does a tablet. You can also get a special fingerprint ID keyboard sold separately for about $160.
- MSI GT72VR Dominator Pro — NVIDIA GTX 1070 and a 17.3-inch 4K display.
Windows Hello fingerprint reader
- ASUS Zenbook 3 — An awesome ultrabook you can take anywhere.
- Dell XPS 13 — One of the best 13-inch ultrabooks being made right now.
- Dell XPS 15 — Basically the XPS 13 but with a bigger, 4K display.
- Huawei MateBook — Tablet with a 1440p display and a fingerprint reader built right in.
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon — Recently refreshed, this is one of the nicest ThinkPads Lenovo makes.
- Lenovo Yoga 910 — 4K display, convertible design, beautiful body.
- Samsung Notebook 9 — Highly mobile; seriously underrated.
Standalone Intel RealSense camera
If you already have a laptop that doesn't support Windows Hello and you don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, you're not entirely out of luck.
Intel offers a developer kit that includes an excellent RealSense camera that fully supports Windows Hello facial recognition. This kit starts at about $150.
Gamers who want a few more features on their camera will want to check out the Razer Stargazer. It allows you to remove or switch the background while you stream at 60FPS without using a green screen backdrop. This camera starts at about $150.
Logitech BRIO 4K webcam
The latest compatible webcam to hit the market, the BRIO 4K from Logitech is a fantastic camera — if you can afford it. It will do pretty much everything you want, including recording 4K footage and virtual removal of backgrounds.
If you're interested in owning one of the best webcams out there, make sure you head over and check out our full review of the BRIO 4K.
Tobii EyeX tracker
Some laptops, like a select few from MSI, use Tobii eye-tracking technology, which is mostly used by gamers and streamers. This technology is also compatible with Windows Hello, and there is a standalone tracker you can buy.
If you don't need the eye tracking, you probably want to go with a regular camera; nevertheless, this is a viable option.
For more great webcams, both compatible with Windows Hello and not, check out our picks for the best Windows 10 webcams.
Best fingerprint scanners compatible with Windows Hello
If you'd rather use a fingerprint scanner on a laptop that doesn't come with one built in, we've already chosen the best option money can buy. There are a bunch of other options available as well if our opinion of the best doesn't quite match yours.