What you need to know
- 8 Zip received a fresh look and new features in a recent update.
- The update brings several improvements to archiving files.
- The update also adds features like hotkey support and support for SVG files.
Popular file archiver 8 Zip received an update this week that brings a fresh new look and several new features. The update makes it easier to use archive encryption, improves archive navigation, and makes it easier to create an archive. It also brings support for hotkeys, SVG files, and several other new features. In addition to feature updates, 8 Zip also received a visual overhaul. The app now follows Fluent Design guidelines and has options for light, dark, and system modes.
8 Zip also gained a built-in viewer and the ability to open multiple instances of the app. This makes it easier to view files and keep track of everything. Finebits shared a summary of the update with us when it shipped.
- It's become easier to create an archive.
- Archive encryption is now enabled with one click only.
- Dark and light theme support has been added. Redone all color palettes.
- UI has been updated with Fluent design and WinUI library.
- Added new hotkeys.
- Now you can run multiple instances of the application.
- Added the ability to open a viewer in a new window. It allows you to look through the images or listen to music without unpacking the archive.
- 7-zip library updated.
- The archive navigation has been improved.
- SVG file support has been added to the built-in viewer.
Finebits also created a Sway presentation summarizing the update, which includes photos, videos, and longer descriptions of the new features and changes. In addition to the free version of 8 Zip, there's a pro version which gets you access to more features.
8 Zip is an archiving app that goes all the way back to the Windows Phone days. The recent update from Finebits brings several archiving improvements and a gorgeous visual overhaul.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Oculus Rift gets fix for stuttering issues with beta update
If you've been one of the users experiencing stuttering issues while playing VR games on the Oculus Rift, Oculus has a beta update that should solve all your problems. Find out how to get the update right now.
Want to try Surface Duo OS? Here's how on Windows 10.
In this guide, we'll show you the steps to download and install the Surface Duo emulator to start developing for the dual-screen device to get a feeling of the new experience.
Why Daniel Rubino doesn't care if the Surface Duo's camera is terrible
Some of us live on the edge of tech, and that often means giving something up to gain something new. In the case of Surface Duo, that may mean living with a less-than-ideal camera.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.