What you need to know
- A mysterious countdown timer first appeared on Capcom's website, with an end date of Feb. 21 at 12am ET.
- The countdown announcement was seemingly tied to the Street Fighter Pro Tour Season Final, which ran long and left fans waiting for the reveal for an extra half hour.
- Street Fighter 6 and Capcom Fighting Collection were both announced.
- Capcom Fighting Collection will release June 24, 2022.
After a mysterious countdown timer showed up on the Capcom official website there was plenty of speculation as to what the impending announcement could be. Everything from Resident Evil DLC to Devil May Cry 6 was on the table. Some even went so far as to speculate about potential acquisitions or Capcom themselves having been acquired. If you had Street Fighter 6 on your bingo card, you were correct!
The announcement lined up with the conclusion of Capcom's Street Fighter Pro Tour Season Final, a three-day long tournament featuring 31 professional Street Fighter V: Champion Edition players. In an odd turn of events, the competition ran a little long and fans were left furiously refreshing the Capcom website waiting for the timer to actually hit zero.
The Street Fighter series is celebrating its 35th anniversary this year, having started its life with an arcade only release in 1987. While Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection from 2018 was on the Xbox One, 2016's Street Fighter V (which was updated in 2020 to Street Fighter V: Champion Edition) has only ever been available on PS4 and PC. The teaser trailer for Street Fighter 6 seems to hint at a new exaggerated-realism art style, but beyond that, Capcom offered no details on Street Fighter 6 except to say more will be revealed in the summer. There's presently no word on whether or not Street Fighter 6 will hit Xbox, or will remain a strictly PlayStation and PC affair.
In addition to Street Fighter 6, an all-new Capcom Fighting Collection was also detailed, scheduled for June 24, 2022. Titles in the fighting collection are going to be loaded down with new features such as mid-game saves, online ranked and casual matches with rollback netcode, and online play for all included titles. The titles included in Capcom Fighting Collection are:
- Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
- Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
- Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers' Revenge
- Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire
- Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire 2
- Street Fighter II The Anniversary Edition
- Red Earth
- Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix
- Cyberbots Full Metal Madness
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Capcom Fighting Collection will be available on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Steam. For the rest of the details about Street Fighter 6, we'll have to wait for the summer to find out more.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Cole is the resident Call of Duty know-it-all and indie game enthusiast for Windows Central. She's a lifelong artist with two decades of experience in digital painting, and she will happily talk your ear off about budget pen displays.