With no new Xbox release for Windows Phone this week, gamers in search of a fix will have to look to the Xbox Red Stripe Deal for their entertainment. The latest deal game is Gameloft’s Dark Knight Rises for Windows Phone 8. It’s on sale for $2.99, as it also was back in June. If you’re looking for a long and meaty game, it should fit the bill.
Non-Xbox Red Stripe Deals include the phenomenal strategy game Armed from Sickhead Games for 99 cents, plus the popular app Weave News Reader for $3.99. We’ve got details and Store links after the break.
The Dark Knight Rises (Windows Phone 8 with 1 GB RAM)
Regular price: $6.99 Sale price: $2.99 Download size: 774 MB Store Link
Everybody knows Gameloft for their mobile clones of popular console and PC titles. But Gameloft also produces fairly high quality licensed games. This one is based on the final Chris Nolan Batman film – the one with all the plot holes like Batman surviving a nuclear explosion somehow. Me, I prefer the animated The Dark Knight Returns, which recently came out in a wonderful deluxe release on Blu-ray and DVD.
As for the game itself, it looks and plays much like Amazing Spider-Man. You can take on the story missions following the film’s plot or run around doing random missions in an open world setting. Batman doesn’t web sling, but he does get to drive vehicles.
Dark Knight Rises is a pretty good movie game, but like other 3D Gameloft titles it suffers from a lower than optimal frame rate. It also has one Achievement that is a little iffy but can be attained by a grinding workaround. Putting those concerns aside, Dark Knight Rises is a must-buy for fans of open world games and the Caped Crusader.
Armed (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $1.99 Sale price: $.99 Download size: 65 MB Store Link
We haven’t written about it in a while, but Armed (AKA ARMED!) used to be one of the most popular and technically impressive indie games for Windows Phone 7.
A turn-based strategy game with 3D graphics, Armed! features some seriously slick menus and UI that put many games from larger companies to shame. On top of single-player battles against the AI, the game also boasts cross-platform online multiplayer. You can battle against Windows 8, PC, iOS, Android, and Ouya players, which is pretty awesome.
Sickhead hasn’t made a new game in a while; hopefully we see something from them soon. In the meantime, don’t miss Armed if you like strategy games.
Weave News Reader (Windows Phone 7 and 8)
Regular price: $7.99 Sale price: $3.99 Download size: 3 MB Store Link
Weave is one of the best Windows Phone news readers around (neck and neck with Nextgen Reader), but it’s also pretty costly. Starting out at ten bucks, it normally sells for $8 nowadays. Luckily for people who find that too rich for their blood, it’s half off this week.
- The first time you open the app, pick from a few of the more popular topics. If you don't see something you like listed, don't worry - there are a lot more topics in the browsable library we've included with the app!
- We've also provided a TON of customization options - everything from different fonts, font sizes, and reading theme colors (try the "night" reading theme when you're up late reading the latest news!).
- We even let you choose what voice you want to hear when Weave speaks an article to you!
- Share articles at the touch of a button: we make it easy to share articles via Instapaper, email, SMS, and social networks (Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn).
- We almost forgot to mention the absolutely gorgeous Live Tile, which cycles through up to 9 images from your latest news articles.
- Come see why many have called Weave the best news app they've ever used!
Thanks to Marcel for the tip!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.