Diablo 2: Resurrected is here, and countless players are jumping into the Rogue Encampment in Act 1 on their way to slay Andariel. The Horadric Cube comes just a bit later in Act 2, and it remains with your character throughout the rest of the game. It's one of the most powerful tools available to your character, allowing you to craft items, upgrade runes and gems, socket items, and much more with just the press of its Transmute button. It can be held on your person or it can be held in your stash; either way, it operates in the same manner.
I've laid out right here all the Horadric Cube recipes (except those used for end-game crafting; those deserve a guide of their own) that you'll need to master Diablo 2: Resurrected. This includes new recipes being introduced with Patch 2.4 that allows for upgrades to set weapons and armor.
Horadric Cube rune recipes
I'll get this one out of the way first, as I've already written a Diablo 2: Resurrected rune and runeword guide with information about "cubing up" runes.
From El rune to Ort rune, all you need is three runes in the cube when you press the Transmute button to create the next rune in the list. For example, three El runes become one Eld rune. Three Eld runes become one Tir rune, and so forth.
- 3 El = 1 Eld
- 3 Eld = 1 Tir
- 3 Tir = 1 Nef
- 3 Nef = 1 Eth
- 3 Eth = 1 Ith
- 3 Ith = 1 Tal
- 3 Tal = 1 Ral
- 3 Ral = 1 Ort
- 3 Ort = 1 Thul
This changes at Thul and higher, which requires a chipped gem in order to upgrade to the next rune. The recipes are as follows:
- 3 Thul + 1 Chipped Topaz = 1 Amn
- 3 Amn + 1 Chipped Amethyst = 1 Sol
- 3 Sol + 1 Chipped Sapphire = 1 Shael
- 3 Shael + 1 Chipped Ruby = 1 Dol
- 3 Dol + 1 Chipped Emerald = 1 Hel
- 3 Hel + 1 Chipped Diamond = 1 Io
We now move on to flawed gems being required to upgrade runes.
- 3 Io + 1 Flawed Topaz = 1 Lum
- 3 Lum + 1 Flawed Amethyst = 1 Ko
- 3 Ko + 1 Flawed Sapphire = 1 Fal
- 3 Fal + 1 Flawed Ruby = 1 Lem
- 3 Lem + 1 Flawed Emerald = 1 Pul
- 2 Pul + 1 Flawed Diamond = 1 Um
We now move on to plain gems being required to upgrade runes.
- 2 Um + 1 Topaz = 1 Mal
- 2 Mal + 1 Amethyst = 1 Ist
- 2 Ist + 1 Sapphire = 1 Gul
- 2 Gul + 1 Ruby = 1 Vex
- 2 Vex + 1 Emerald = 1 Ohm
- 2 Ohm + 1 Diamond = 1 Lo
The final five recipes require flawless gems as part of the upgrade recipe.
- 2 Lo + 1 Flawless Topaz = 1 Sur
- 2 Sur + 1 Flawless Amethyst = 1 Ber
- 2 Ber + 1 Flawless Sapphire = 1 Jah
- 2 Jah + 1 Flawless Ruby = 1 Cham
- 2 Cham + 1 Flawless Emerald = 1 Zod
Horadric Cube gem recipes
Chipped gems begin dropping in Act 1 Normal, moving all the way up to perfect gems as you progress through the game. The Horadric Cube can be used to upgrade gems.
I'll use the Ruby as an example for the recipes below, but rest assured the same holds true for all gems, including skulls.
- 3 Chipped Ruby = 1 Flawed Ruby
- 3 Flawed Ruby = 1 Ruby
- 3 Ruby = 1 Flawless Ruby
- 3 Flawless Ruby = 1 Perfect Ruby
Horadric Cube repair and recycling recipes
In the early game, gold can be hard to come by. Since your items degrade at a fairly quick pace, repairing at a vendor might be out of the question. Luckily, you can repair and recharge equipment with the Horadric Cube. Note that these recipes will not work on Ethereal items; once they're broken, they're broken forever.
In terms of recharging, this has to do with items that have skills under the "Charge" category. For example, a staff might have Teleport skill charges that can be used by any character.
- 1 Ral Rune + 1 Armor = 1 Repaired Armor
- 1 Ral Rune + 1 Flawed Gem + 1 Armor = 1 Repaired/Recharged Armor
- 1 Ort Rune + 1 Weapon = 1 Repaired Weapon
- 1 Ort Rune + 1 Chipped Gem + 1 Weapon = 1 Repaired/Recharged Armor
In a similar manner, you can combine items to create other dispensables. For example, you can turn bolts into arrows and vice versa. Here are some helpful recipes to recycle your junk.
- 2 Arrow Quivers = 1 Bolt Quiver
- 2 Bolt Quivers = 1 Arrow Quiver
- 1 Strangling Gas Potion + 1 Healing Potion = 1 Antidote Potion
- 1 Axe + 1 Dagger = 1 Bundle Throwing Axes
- 1 Spear + 1 Arrow Quiver = 1 Bundle Javelins
- 3 Health Potions + 3 Mana Potions + 1 Chipped Gem = 1 Rejuvenation Potion
- 3 Health Potions + 3 Mana Potions + 1 Regular Gem = 1 Full Rejuvenation Potion
- 3 Rejuvenation Potions = 1 Full Rejuvenation Potion
This also works for more important items like rings, amulets, and rare items.
- 3 Magic Rings = 1 Random Magic Amulet
- 3 Magic Amulets = 1 Random Magic Ring
- 3 Perfect Gems + 1 Magic Item = 1 Random Magic Item (same type)
- 6 Perfect Skull + 1 Rare Item = 1 Random Rare Item (same type, low quality)
- 1 Perfect Skull + 1 Stone of Jordan Ring + 1 Rare Item = 1 Random Rare Item (same type, high quality)
Horadric Cube item utility recipes
Runewords are an incredibly important part of Diablo 2: Resurrected, but it can sometimes be tough to find naturally the socketed items that fit best for the runes. There are a bunch of recipes that can be used to upgrade and socket normal items to get them ready for a new life as a runeword. You might not always get the number of sockets you were hoping for, but that's part of the gamble.
- 1 Ral + 1 Amn + 1 Perfect Amethyst + 1 Normal Weapon = Socketed Weapon (same type)
- 1 Tal + 1 Thul + 1 Perfect Topaz + 1 Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor (same type)
- 1 Ral + 1 Thul + 1 Perfect Sapphire + 1 Normal Helm = Socketed Helm (same type)
- 1 Tal + 1 Amn + 1 Perfect Ruby + 1 Normal Shield = Socketed Shield (same type)
- 1 Hel + 1 Town Portal + 1 Socketed Item = Empty Sockets (socketed runes, gems, or jewels destroyed)
- 1 El + 1 Chipped Gem + 1 Low Quality Armor = Normal Quality Armor (same type)
- 1 Eld + 1 Chipped Gem + 1 Low Quality Weapon = Normal Quality Weapon (same type)
You can also add sockets to magic and rare items, though these cannot be used to create runewords.
- 3 Perfect Skulls + 1 Stone of Jordan + 1 Rare Item = Socketed Rare Item (same item, 1 socket)
- 3 Chipped Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = 1 Socketed Magic Weapon (ilvl 25)
- 3 Regular Gems + 1 Socketed Weapon = 1 Socketed Magic Weapon
- 3 Flawless Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = 1 Socketed Magic Weapon (ilvl 30)
Horadric Cube item upgrade recipes
Unique and rare items can be upgraded to the next quality via the Horadric Cube. For example, a pair of Magefist unique light gauntlets can be upgraded to become Magefist battle gauntlets with the right recipe. They can be upgraded — or "upped" in Diablo slang — again to become Magefist crusader gauntlets.
This moves the item from normal to exceptional to elite along the way. In the case of armor, granted bonuses will remain the same but defense (and requirements) will climb. In the case of weapons, granted bonuses will also remain but damage and requirements will climb. This can be done to ethereal items, but it cannot be done to runewords or items you've crafted.
- 1 Tal + 1 Shael + 1 Perfect Diamond + 1 Normal Unique Armor = 1 Exceptional Unique Armor (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Ko + 1 Lem + 1 Perfect Diamond + 1 Exceptional Unique Armor = 1 Elite Unique Armor (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Ral + 1 Sol + 1 Perfect Emerald + 1 Normal Unique Weapon = 1 Exceptional Unique Weapon (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Lum + 1 Pul + 1 Perfect Emerald + 1 Exceptional Unique Weapon = 1 Elite Unique Weapon (same item, upgraded)
The same process can be done to rare items.
- 1 Ral + 1 Thul + 1 Perfect Amethyst + 1 Normal Rare Armor = 1 Exceptional Rare Armor (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Ko + 1 Pul + 1 Perfect Amethyst + 1 Exceptional Rare Armor = 1 Elite Rare Armor (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Ort + 1 Amn + 1 Perfect Sapphire + 1 Normal Rare Weapon = 1 Exceptional Rare Weapon (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Fal + 1 Um + 1 Perfect Sapphire + 1 Exceptional Rare Weapon = 1 Elite Rare Weapon (same item, upgraded)
Diablo 2: Resurrected Patch 2.4 is bringing a whole lot of changes to the game, including a buff to set items to make them more viable. This includes a new set of Horadric Cube recipes that allows you to upgrade set items to Exceptional and Elite levels. Here are the new recipes that can be used.
- 1 Ral + 1 Sol + 1 Perfect Emerald + 1 Normal Set Weapon = 1 Exceptional Set Weapon (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Lum + 1 Pul + 1 Perfect Emerald + 1 Exceptional Set Weapon = 1 Elite Set Weapon (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Tal + 1 Shael + 1 Perfect Diamond + 1 Normal Set Armor = 1 Exceptional Set Armor (same item, upgraded)
- 1 Ko + 1 Lem + 1 Perfect Diamond + 1 Exceptional Set Armor = 1 Elite Set Armor (same item, upgraded)
Horadric Cube special event recipes
The Horadric Cube is crucial in kicking off a couple of Diablo 2: Resurrected's special events.
The Secret Cow Level is a great
pasture place to farm for items, accessible via a portal. It can be created by any character that has defeated Baal in the same difficulty that they're trying to open the portal. For example, a character that has defeated Baal (with the quest completed) in Normal difficulty will be able to open the portal in Normal. Note that Wirt's Leg must be picked up in Tristram, and the portal must be created in Act 1. You can open the portal as many times as you want, but only one portal may exist per game.
- 1 Tome of Town Portal + 1 Wirt's Leg = Secret Cow Level Portal
The Pandemonium Event is a mega-boss battle that ends with the player receiving a coveted Hellfire Torch Large Charm. Keys must be sourced from bosses throughout the game — Key of Terror from Countess, Key of Hate from Summoner, and Key of Destruction from Nihlathak — and placed into the Cube together to open a portal to a demi-boss.
- 1 Key of Terror + 1 Key of Hate + 1 Key of Destruction = Portal to Matron's Den, Furnace of Pain, or Forgotten Sands (random)
A good tip is to gather three of each key for a "key set" before beginning. This will prevent you from opening the same portal twice. Once you've killed the demi-boss in each of the three portals, place the three gathered organ (one drops from each demi-boss) into the Cube.
- 1 Mephisto's Brain + 1 Diablo's Horn + 1 Baal's Eye = Portal to Uber Tristram
Defeat the bosses in Uber Tristram and a Hellfire Torch will drop. This is one of the most coveted items in the game due to how much time it takes to prepare for and how difficult it is to complete.
Finally, you can create Tokens of Absolution in the Horadric Cube. Tokens are used to reset your character's attributes and skill points. Once you've used up the three free respecs granted by Akara, this is the only way to reset your character.
- 1 Twisted Essence of Suffering + 1 Charged Essence of Hatred + 1 Burning Essence of Terror + 1 Festering Essence of Destruction = 1 Token of Absolution
The Twisted Essence of Suffering can drop from Andariel or Duriel, the Charged Essence of Hatred can drop from Mephisto, the Burning Essence of Terror can drop from Diablo, and the Festering Essence of Destruction can drop from Baal. Note that this only applies to Hell difficulty.
More Diablo 2: Resurrected resources
Now that Diablo 2: Resurrected is finally here, tons of people are experiencing the grim world for the first time. No problem; we have a bunch of guides that can help. Our roundup of 15 beginner Diablo 2: Resurrected tips and tricks will help greenhorns get off to a good start, and our Diablo 2: Resurrected guide to classes and abilities will take your characters to the next level.
If you're worried that your PC isn't quite up to handling the new graphics, be sure to check out the best laptops for playing Diablo 2: Resurrected for something that will be up to the task.
It's finally here
More than a fresh coat of paint
Preorder Diablo 2: Resurrected now and get the original Diablo 2 and its Lord of Destruction expansion included. Pre-order now on PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch.
Cale Hunt is a Senior Editor at Windows Central. He focuses mainly on laptop reviews, news, and accessory coverage. He's been reviewing laptops and accessories full time since 2016, with hundreds of reviews published for Windows Central. He is an avid PC gamer and multi-platform user, and spends most of his time either tinkering with or writing about tech.
Just some feedback - no mention of the normal rune exchange path - el, ort, eth, etc. (you listed how it works, but not the full rotation!)
Noted -- added now! Enjoy.
The recipe to repair and refil charges isnt a ort+flawed+weapon. Its ort+chipped+weapon
Thank you! Fixed.
The upgrading of unique weapons/armor to nightmare/he'll variants is really handy. I also like the crafting of blood belt and blood gloves. The blood axe and blood helmet is also pretty decent.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.