What you need to know
- Dynabook just announced that two models of its laptops meet Trade Agreements Act compliance requirements.
- The 14-inch Portégé X40-K and 14-inch Tecra A40-K are the first TAA compliant laptops from Dynabook.
- By meeting the requirements, the laptops have the needed security features to be purchased for government contracts and used by federal agencies.
At CES 2023, Dynabook announced that two of its laptops now meet Trade Agreements Act compliance requirements for federal contracts. The laptops use IPv6 protocol for handling IP traffic and have a lengthy list of security features.
Dynabook's announcement doesn't unveil any brand-new laptops. Instead, it details how versions of the recently announced 14-inch Portégé X40-K and 14-inch Tecra A40-K are now TAA compliant.
The laptops have a bevy of security features, including the following highlighted by Dynabook:
- CPUs that support hardware-rooted trust and hardware security test interface (HSTI)
- CPU Virtualization Extensions with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) support
- CPU Input/Output Memory Management Unit (IOMMU)
- TPM 2.0 - FIPS 140-2 compliant and TCG certified
- Smart Card (CAC) reader - FIPS 201/ISO 7816 compliant
- Tamper-resistance UEFI (v2.6 or later) with Secure Boot functionality – NIST SP 800-147 compliant
- Platform Firm Resiliency in compliance with NIST SP 800-193
- Webcam, microphone, LAN, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth can be disabled by BIOS
Dynabook announced the Tecra A40K back in March 2022. The Portégé X40-K's announcement quickly followed in April. Both of the laptops run on 12th Gen Intel Core CPUs rather than Intel's newer 13th Gen chips announced ahead of CES.
|Category||Dynabook Portégé X40-K||Tecra A40-K|
|Operating System||Windows 11 Pro||Windows 10 Pro|
|Windows 11 Pro|
|Display||14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS||14 inches, 16:9, Anti-glare, 1366x768 (HD), touch (optional)|
|14-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS touch||14 inches, 16:9, Anti-glare, 1920x1080 (FHD), touch (optional)|
|Processor||12th Gen Intel Core i5-1240P||12th Gen Intel Core i5-1240P|
|12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P||12th Gen Intel Core i5-1250P vPro|
|12th Gen Intel Core i5-1250P vPro||12th Gen Intel Core i7-1260P|
|12th Gen Intel Core i7-1270P vPro||12th Gen Intel Core i7-1270P vPro|
|12th Gen Intel Core i7-1280P vPro||12th Gen Intel Core i7-1280P vPro|
|Graphics||Intel Iris Xe||Intel Iris Xe|
|Intel UHD||Intel UHD|
|Memory||DDR4 up to 64 GB||Up to 64GB DDR4|
|Storage||Up to 1TB SSD||Up to 1TB SSD|
|Front Camera||Infrared IR camera with Windows Hello||IR camera|
|Security||Windows Hello IR camera||TPM 2.0|
|Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0||Microsoft secured-core PC|
|Fingerprint reader||Fingerprint reader|
|Optional Smart Card reader||IR camera|
|Security Lock slot||Privacy shutter|
|Microsoft Secured-core PC||Lock slot|
|Smart card reader (optional)|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2||Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211, Bluetooth 5.2 or 5.0|
|Ports||HDMI||2x Thunderbolt 4|
|2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (one supporting USB Sleep & Charge)||2x USB-A 3.2 (Gen 1)|
|2x USB-C ports supporting Thunderbolt 4||HDMI|
|RJ-45 Ethernet LAN port||RJ45 Ethernet|
|Headset jack (Microphone / Headphone combo port)||3.5mm audio|
|microSD card slot||microSD card reader|
|Audio||Stereo speakers, DTS audio processing||Stereo speakers, DTS Audio, Dual microphones|
|Dimensions||323.6 x 220.6 x 17.9 mm (12.7 x 8.7 x 0.7 in)||12.7 x 8.7 x 0.7 inches (323.6mm x 220.6mm x 18.9mm)|
|Weight||Starting 1.45 kg (3.2 lb)||3.2 pounds (1.45kg)|
|Colors||Mystic Blue||Dark Blue|
“Our company has deep roots selling to the federal government, and today, we are reaffirming our commitment to creating the most powerful and secure laptops for U.S. Government contracts,” said Dynabook general manager James Robbins.
“Bolstering our focus on this space will not only prove to be a huge gamechanger for us, but will be for our channel partners as well, as there is no larger customer than the U.S. Federal Government."
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!