A few weeks ago, Rockstar Games revealed Red Dead Redemption 2's long-awaited gameplay. While the footage blew everyone away, many gamers asked the studio to provide more details about the characters. Luckily, the team did just that and now we know a lot more about the individuals who will be part of the experience. You can read abridged biographies of the gang members below.
- Dutch van der Linde: Dutch is the leader of a sizable gang of outlaws and misfits. Idealistic and well-read, he's possibly starting to unravel under the pressures of the encroaching modern world.
- Hosea Matthews: Hosea is a a con artist and thief. He's been Dutch's closest friend and right-hand man for over twenty years.
- Molly O'Shea: Molly is from Dublin and is Dutch's girlfriend. Life on the run is starting to take a toll on her.
- Susan Grimshaw: Susan settles disputes in camp and makes sure everything is running smoothly.
- Pearson: Pearson is the camp's butcher and cook. He was in the Navy and is obsessed with that.
- Micah Bell: Micah is a career criminal and hitman. He's by far the most unpredictable of the lot.
- Charles Smith: A relatively-recent recruit, Charles is quiet and reserved but extremely competent in everything he does.
- Bill Williamson: A former solider discharged from the army, Bill is mostly the muscle of the gang.
- Leopold Strauss: Leopold is from Austria and is responsible for keeping the gang's books and running their money lending operation.
- John Marston: We all know who John is. Once an orphaned street kid taken under Dutch's wing at the age of twelve, he's now an important member of the gang.
- Abigail Roberts: Abigail is an orphan who grew up living in dive bars and brothels in the West. She's John's partner.
- Jack Marston: Jack is John's son. He has grown up with the gang, although everyone has done their best to shield him from the violence.
- Karen Jones: Karen is a scam artist and trigger woman who loves alcohol.
- Javier Escuella: Javier is a notorious bounty hunter and Mexican revolutionary. Javier believes in Dutch's ideals.
- Tilly Jackson: Tilly has been an outlaw since she was a child. She ran with another gang before joining up with Dutch.
- Uncle: Uncle is sort of the comic relief in the gang. He's always drunk and entertaining so Dutch keeps him around.
- Mary-Beth Gaskill: Mary is a kind young woman, which makes her the perfect criminal. She specializes in scamming people it seems.
- Lenny Summers: Lenny has been on the run since he was fifteen after killing the men who murdered his father.
- Josiah Trelawny: Josiah is a conman and trickster. He's known for bringing in great leads on who to rob.
- Reverend Swanson: Swanson is a former clergyman now lost to debauchery. He saved Dutch's life in the past.
- Sean Macguire: Sean is from Ireland and is a thief. He comes from a long line of criminals and political dissidents.
- Sadie Adler: Sadie is a widow who is hellbent on taking revenge upon those who killed her husband.
- Arthur Morgan: Lastly, Arthur is our protagonist. He's Dutch's most dependable and capable enforcer since he was a boy.
Red Dead Redemption 2 tells a personal story. After a robbery goes wrong in the town of Blackwater, Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang are forced to flee. With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, the gang must rob, steal, and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive. As deepening internal divisions threaten to tear the gang apart, Arthur must make a choice between his own ideals or loyalty to the gang who raised him.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Director of Art at Rockstar North Aaron Garbut said the following.
We've aimed to capture a wide slice of American life in 1899, a rapidly industrializing nation that would soon have its sights on the world's stage — and would do whatever possible to 'modernize.' It's a brutal landscape with a sordid history, but also one that's full of opportunity. One of the most satisfying aspects of creating a world of such scope and scale is the ability to experience a whole range of stories and characters in your journey across that world. The gang's journey and the game's epic scope makes room to touch on all aspects of turn of the century America in a meaningful, substantial way.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.