One of the few downsides of getting a new Windows Phone is having to migrate all the apps, games and settings of your old phone to your new. Many will be picking up the new Lumia 950 or Lumia 950 XL and the process has gotten a lot easier than it used to be.
The process is no longer as cumbersome as it used to be with everything having to be manually reinstalled and set-up. With the Windows Phone Back-up feature, you can create a backup file for all your games, apps, email accounts, settings and text messages that can easily be restored or migrated to your new Windows Phone.
The steps are straightforward.
- From your old Windows Phone (in my case the Lumia 830), go to your settings and scroll down to the Update+Backup section of the settings.
- Here is where you can choose what gets backed up. So you have the most recent file available, go ahead and tap the Apps+Settings and Text Messages to back them up.
- Images have the option of being backed up to your OneDrive and accessible from your new Windows Phone. Personally, I store my images on my microSD Card and simply move my card from Phone to Phone.
Once you've created a recent backup file for your Apps+Settings and/or Text Messages, go ahead and start the initial set-up for your new Windows Phone. At some point, you will be asked if you would like to restore a previous Windows Phone backup file. All that is needed is to pick your file, tap okay and sit back and relax.
The restoration will adjust your new Windows Phone settings to match your old Windows Phone as best as possible. Just keep in mind that some of the settings on your old phone may not transfer over to your Windows 10 phone. The same is possible with your old apps and games.
The reinstallation will take a little time, but it is a lot easier than finding the app in the Windows Phone Store and manually re-install things one app at a time.
- Prep for Lumia 950 & Lumia 950 XL: USB Type C - What is it and what to buy
- Prep for Lumia 950 & Lumia 950 XL: Getting the best microSD card
- Microsoft Lumia 950 Review
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL first impressions and unboxing
Support and help forums
Want to chat about the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL? Jump into our forums and ask others what they think or get help and advice on your new phone!
Update 4: Trump gives blessing to TikTok sale to Microsoft
TikTok may soon be owned by Microsoft. The company is reportedly in talks to buy out the U.S. portion of TikTok amid a rumored Trump administration order for TikTok owner Bytedance to divest. On Monday, President Trump says he does not oppose the sale so long as it is done by September 15.
Review: Horizon Zero Dawn is on the PC now, and it's amazing
One of the greatest PlayStation games in recent memory has come to Steam, all ready to delight a whole new group of people.
Logitech's new racing wheel brings the feel of the track to your hands
Logitech debuted the G923 today, a new racing wheel and pedals that bring the feel of the track to life. The G923 comes with Logitech's "TRUEFORCE" force feedback system, which simulates the track, wheels, and everything else you'd want to feel in a sim racer.
Complete list of Xbox One Dolby Atmos games
Dolby Atmos creates a realistic, immersive soundscape, but is not featured in every game. These are all Xbox One games with baked-in Dolby Atmos support so far.