What you need to know
- Microsoft Flight Simulator has seen update after update with world improvements, new tutorials and Discovery Flights, and much more.
- Asobo Studio and Xbox Game Studios have announced what's next for Microsoft Flight Simulator, and it's another massive free update.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition will add new airplanes, airports, city improvements, tutorials, and more.
- The update will be completely free on Xbox Series X|S and PC, and will replace the standard version on Nov. 18, 2021.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is an inarguable success, with Asobo Studio and Xbox Game Studios delivering one of the best flight sim experiences around. The game has also received plenty of free post-launch support and updates, most recently culminating with a major update that coincided with the Microsoft Flight Simulator Xbox release. Today, the next massive release for Microsoft Flight Simulator was revealed, which will bring a fresh batch of new content and free additions to this epic flight sim next month.
Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition is arriving as a completely free update for the title on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, PC, and Xbox Game Pass, and will replace the Standard Edition in stores for brand-new players. The free update includes a frankly ridiculous amount of content, with new airplanes, airports, city improvements, tutorials, Discovery Flights, technical updates, and more. There's a lot to look forward to with the Game of the Year Edition, which officially releases on Nov. 18, 2021.
Alongside the best Microsoft Flight Simulator add-ons and mods, there will be no shortage of content for players to explore with Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition. MFS is certainly holding on to its place as one of the best PC games and best Xbox games, even for those who normally don't seek out in-depth flight simulators.
Some of the highlights of Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition include:
- New features:
- DirectX 12 early access support
- Updated weather system
- Developer mode replay system
- Five new aircraft:
- Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet
- Pilatus PC-6 Porter
- CubCrafters NX Cub
- Aviat Pitts Special S1S
- Eight new airports:
- Leipzig/Halle Airport (EDDP)
- Allgäu Airport Memmingen (EDJA)
- Kassel Airport (EDVK)
- Lugano Airport (LSZA)
- Zurich Airport (LSZH)
- Luzern-Beromunster Airport (LSZO)
- Patrick Space Force Base (KCOF)
- Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (KNKX)
- New photogrammetry cities:
- Helsinki (Finland)
- Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany)
- Brighton (UK)
- Derby (UK)
- Eastbourne (UK)
- Newcastle (UK)
- Nottingham (UK)
- Utrecht (Netherlands)
- Six new Discovery Flight missions:
- Freiburg im Breisgau
- Monument Valley
- Mount Cook
- 14 new tutorials
Xbox and PC
The ultimate flying experience
Microsoft Flight Simulator is the premier flight simulator experience, featuring a 1:1 rendition of the globe rendered with beautiful detail. While Microsoft Flight Simulator launched exclusively on powerful gaming PCs, the best flight sim around is now available on Xbox Series X|S, PC, and Xbox Game Pass.
A catalog of games
All your gaming needs, in one subscription.
Is the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate the best value in all of gaming? It's possible. Ultimate bundles your Xbox Live Gold subscription, an Xbox Game Pass subscription for both Xbox consoles and Windows PCs, and Xbox Cloud Gaming for on-the-go. That means access to hundreds of games, with more added all the time, for a single monthly subscription cost.
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Great but I dread the installation. Now that would be a gift, having a regular download instead of their awful launcher.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.