What you need to know
- Microsoft Flight Simulator is a gorgeous return to flight sims for Microsoft, utilizing the power of the cloud.
- It's received rave reviews, and is now receiving its first patch update, focusing on fixing bugs and other issues.
- The changelog and update are live now, with the patch update focusing a lot on installation issues.
- If you have trouble installing the update, a clean install of the entire game should resolve the problem.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is officially releasing its very first post-launch patch update, fixing a variety of issues with a particular focus on installation issues. This update should be the first of many in resolving some of Microsoft Flight Simulator's known bugs and issues, and to get the best possible experience its recommended that you grab this update right away.
Microsoft notes that if players have any issues installing this update, they should consider a clean install of the game, as this will resolve these problems (one of the primary focuses of this patch update is fixing installation issues).
The changelog for Patch Version 184.108.40.206 includes:
- The title will no longer crash when different input devices / peripherals are disconnected
- The title will no longer crash when the TBM 930 package is deleted
- The install process will no longer be blocked after a partial decompression of a package
- The install process will no longer be blocked when a local user account includes non-ASCII characters
- The install process will no longer be blocked after a failed connection to servers
- The install process will no longer display an empty onboarding screen under certain conditions
- The title will download a critical missing / deleted package to access the main menu even if the save data preference is set to offline (when an internet connection is available)
- The title will no longer automatically download packages that have been deleted through the content manager
- The content manager will no longer get stuck in an infinite loading state when checked offline
- The Creator name of the packages should now be properly updated
- Significant FPS drop when using Simconnect should no longer affect the experience
- The performance of the title has been improved when the Display name plate option is set to active
- The correct currency is now properly updated in the marketplace
This patch update doesn't include any new features or content, and isn't part of Microsoft Flight Simulator's extensive feature roadmap, but it is great to see the team hard at work improving an already incredible game. With the number of players having issues simply installing the game, this patch update was especially important.
Does this update resolve some of the issues you've been having with the game? Is there another bug or problem you're facing that hasn't been fixed yet? Let us know in the comments below!
The Legend Returns
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 has taken to the skies, promising a cloud-powered globe, with authenticity on an unmatched scale. It's out now exclusively on Windows PCs, offered in three flavors.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer for Windows Central, primarily focused on covering the latest news in tech and gaming, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting Windows and Xbox hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life starting with the original Xbox, and started out as a freelancer for Windows Central and its sister sites in 2019. Now a full-fledged Staff Writer, Zachary has expanded from only writing about all things Minecraft to covering practically everything on which Windows Central is an expert, especially when it comes to Microsoft. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
This patch made things worse for me. I couldn't get past the menu before. Now I crash during loading.
Works for me, however the Multiplayer is bugged atm, can't see my friend half of the time... They either disappear for good, or pop back in for some time.
"If you have trouble installing the update, a clean install of the entire game should resolve the problem." This was hilarious.
It is funny, but thats exactly what I had to do with my install before the patch.
I should consider myself very very lucky that I got to install it in the first sit (which was actually overnight, that thing is huge).
Yeah, I think I would have been too but my laptop died in the middle of the instal because the outlet I was plugged into was out. I think it corrupted something because it would never resume the 90 gig update. I can't wait for the easy Xbox release!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.