Minecraft Dungeons isn't afraid to stack the cards against you, pitting you against armies of vicious hostile mobs. Fortunately, even the nasiest groups of baddies can be conquered with relative ease if you approach every battle smartly and outthink your admittedly dumb opponents. Using your environment, abilities, and even your enemies, you'll always emerge the victor.
Here's everything you need to know to fight and defeate large groups of enemies in Minecraft Dungeons:
How do I fight and defeat large groups of enemies in Minecraft Dungeons?
Games like Minecraft Dungeons and Diablo (the game that heavily inspires Dungeons) can always get hectic during more challenging parts, by chucking wave after wave of increasingly competent enemies at you. During these parts, it's easy to become overwhelmed and find yourself trapped or surrounded, but it doesn't have to be that way. Minecraft Dungeons gives you plenty of tools to keep the tide of battle in your favor, and stay just out of reach of your foes. Here's what you need to do:
- Stay mobile. One of most important pieces of advice is to constantly be in motion. Staying in one place gives your enemies a chance to surround you, where it'll be difficult to get out alive. A few hits won't do you in, but you're not very sturdy in Minecraft Dungeons, so being surrounded is incredibly dangerous.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Almost as important as staying mobile is where you stay mobile. Minecraft Dungeons' maps can be hectic, and feature many alternative paths and areas that might not give you much room to maneuver. Try and stay in the open, and remember where you are.
- Keep track of what kinds of enemies you're facing. There are many types of mobs in Minecraft Dungeons, some more dangerous than others. It's always best to focus on the more powerful mobs before dealing with the weaker ones, so it's a good idea to try and remember which mobs are which.
- Use the dash button. If you've been cornered, or are in a tricky situation, the dash is one of your most valuable tools. Dodging out of the way of powerful attacks, preventing your enemies from cornering you, or just getting out of the way of the thirtieth creeper are all valid uses of the dash.
- Ranged weapons are your friend. No matter your loadout or playstyle in Minecraft Dungeons, you'll still have a bow on you, and chances are you'll have a few arrows too. Even if you're focused on melee combat, using the bow occassionally to weaken more powerful mobs, or to pick off other ranged baddies like skeletons and enchanters can go a long ways towards weakening the load on your shoulders. Check out our list of weapons in Minecraft Dungeons to get an idea of which set-up would suit you best.
- Artifacts can make all the difference. Artifacts are powerful weapons and items that grant you unique abilities and attacks. There are a variety of artifacts, and in the right situations they can completely turn the tide of battle. Become familiar with the artifacts at your disposal, and try not to forget that they're there. Here's how you can use artifacts, and everything you should know about them.
- TNT can sometimes drop from enemies. While you can't actively control this event, you can certainly take advantage when it does happen. Some enemies may drop TNT on the ground when they die, giving you an opportunity to decimate your enemies with a massive explosion. To use TNT, just pick it up and toss it in the direction of your choice, being careful to stay outside its circle of effect. After a few moments, boom!
- Creepers can be used to your advantage. If you're decently confident in your dashing abilities, you can actually use creepers against other hostile mobs. Timing your dodge with the creeper's explosion can carry you to safety and leave your bewildered foes stranded in the face of a suicidal creeper. Here's how you can use creepers for you.
If you combine all the tips and tricks in this guide, you'll be unstoppable, regardless of the number of enemies around you. In fact, using these tricks is pretty much all you need to get through the game as a whole. Dungeons is meant to be a challenging game at some parts, but just a sprinkle of strategy on top of the usual "attack!" strategy is all it takes to stay in control.
Not your average Minecraft
Minecraft grows up and and reaches out.
Minecraft Dungeons is the next saga in Minecraft's story, and it looks like Mojang and Microsoft are hitting another one out of the park. Minecraft Dungeons combines the familiar world we all grew up on with an injection of Diablo, a whole lot of fun. Available on every platform you're on, for a ridiculously tempting price, what's not to love?
Xbox (opens in new tab)
Zachary Boddy is the Minecraft Expert and a News Writer for Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been freelancing for Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019, with a focus on Xbox and PC gaming. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Guys, I appreciate the content. But the game isn't even out yet! Is that many people playing the beta that they need news catered to a yet unreleased game????
Well it's coming out soon :p
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.