Just in case you were unaware, this Monday, March 17th, is Saint Patrick’s Day. The one day where everyone declares Irish roots and green beer flows like streams at the local Pub.
We thought it was a fitting occasion to muster up a roundup of a few of the St. Patrick’s Day apps available in the Windows Phone Store. We have included a few that are deeply rooted in the holiday that may help you find your way around the pubs on the holiday or any other day for that matter.
Irish Quiz (free)
On Saint Patrick’s Day, the Irish come out of the woodwork to celebrate. Many of which didn’t realize how Irish they were. The Windows Phone app Irish Quiz is a trivia app that determines how Irish you actually are.
The app tosses out a twenty-question quiz that covers everything Irish. From the national flower to the ingredients needed for Irish Coffee to the colors in Ireland’s flag.
Run through all twenty questions and you’ll be scored on how Irish you actually are. Some may find that a box of Lucky Charms is more Irish than they are while others could as Irish as a four-leaf clover. Irish Quiz is a fun Windows Phone app to pass around on St. Paddy's Day.
Irish Quiz is a free app that is available for Windows Phone 8 and 7.x. You can find your copy of Irish Quiz here in the Windows Phone Store.
iRishSlang is a free Windows Phone app that is available for both Windows Phone 8 and 7.x devices. It is designed to help you make heads or tails of the local Irish slang.
While the app isn’t exactly an Irish to English Dictionary, it could help keep you from sticking your foot in your mouth when asked for a rubber by the Irish hostess tending the door at the bar.
iRishSlang is simply laid out with a page listing over 140 slang words with the meaning and a page that will display over 50 Irish phrases (just tap the screen to generate a phrase).
iRishSlang is a free app, available for both Windows Phone 8 and 7.x devices. You can download your copy of iRishSlang here in the Windows Phone Store.
Untappd is a Windows Phone 8 app that could come in handy as you are pub hopping on Saint Patrick’s Day, as well as the evenings to follow.
Untappd is a social discovery and check-in app for anyone who enjoys beer. Untappd is also the official Windows Phone app for the website that bears the same name.
Untappd does require a membership (free) and with the Windows Phone 8 app, you can:
- Find where you can get a specific beer nearby and all the details on that brew.
- Get information on the local breweries along with a listing of their beers.
- Find nearby bars to visit and what beers they serve.
- Find out where your friends are hanging out at or invite them to meet you at a particular establishment.
- Create a wish list of the beers you want to try in the future.
- Create personalize beer recommendations, ratings and photos that can be shared across Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare.
Untappd is a well laid out Windows Phone app that combines the ability to scope out a beer, brewery and bar while keeping in touch with your friends all under one roof. It could help save you a few stops while you search for just the right pub.
Untappd is a free app that is available for Windows Phone 8. You can find Untappd here in the Windows Phone Store.
St. Patrick’s Photo Booth (trial/$.99)
St. Patrick’s Photo Booth is a light-hearted app where you can snap a picture of your friend and add Saint Patrick’s Day clip-art to the photo then share it on Facebook.
Clip-art includes hats, four-leaf clovers, pots of gold and speech bubbles that you can a custom message on. Props can be positioned as well as enlarged/reduced by touch. To flip or delete an item, just tap and hold on the clip-art to pull up menu options.
You can create your St. Patrick’s Day image from freshly taken images or from images already saved to your Windows Phone Pictures Hub.
There is a trial version available for St. Patrick’s Photo Booth that lets you try things out but won’t let you save the finished image. The full version of the app is currently running $.99 and it is available for both Windows Phone 8 and 7.x devices.
You can find your copy of St. Patrick’s Photo Booth here in the Windows Phone Store.
Other apps worth considering
Here are three additional apps worth mentioning that could be of help as you celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day.
- HERE Transit (store link): A handy app for finding a safe ride home with after a long night of pub hopping.
- Yelp! (store link): Celebrating in an unfamiliar town or just looking for a new place to wine and dine on St. Patrick’s Day? Yelp! Is a Windows Phone app full of suggestions.
- Cocktail Flow (store link): For those who are celebrating at home and in need of a little mixology help with tending bar. There’s even an add-on package available for St. Patrick’s Day recipes.
- 6snap (store link): Just in case you need to record the night’s festivities for prosperity and to share with the rest of the world.
These are just a handful of Windows Phone apps that could help you survive Saint Patrick’s Day. If we’ve missed your favorite St. Paddy’s Day app, toss out your recommendation below in the comments.