What you need to know
- A new set of firmware updates is available for several Surface devices.
- There are updates available for the Surface Book 2, Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, and several older Surface devices.
- The updates largely focus on battery improvements and fixes for major CPU and GPU issues with Surface Book 2.
Several Surface devices have firmware updates that improve battery life or battery stability. The Surface Book 2, Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, Surface Pro (5th Gen), Surface Laptop, and Surface Pro 4 all have firmware updates. The updates generally improve battery life or battery stability, but the Surface Book 2 updates in particular correct some major issues related to CPU throttling and the GPU going missing from Device Manager.
The Surface Book 2 has the longest list of changes.
Surface Base 2 Firmware Update – Firmware
- 126.96.36.199 improves battery stability.
Surface System Aggregator – Firmware
- 182.1004.139.0 resolves an issue where the CPU will throttle down to .4GHz, and improves battery stability.
Surface UEFI – Firmware
- 389.2837.768.0 resolves an issue where the display adapter disappears from Device Manager.
The Surface Pro 6, Laptop 2, Laptop, Pro 5, and Pro 4 have all received updates that help improve battery life. Each carries a different version number, but they are nearly all updates to the Surface System Aggregator. The only exception is the Surface Pro 4, which improves battery life with an update to its Surface Embedded Controller firmware.
The firmware updates are available for devices running Windows 10 April 2018 Update, version 1803, or greater. You can find the full list of release notes for each device at the Surface Update History site.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.