During the May 7 showcase for third-party Xbox Series X games, one title was revealed by Polish studio Bloober Team. It's called The Medium and it's being developed exclusively for Xbox Series X and high-end PCs. While there's still a lot we don't know, we've compiled all the information we have on this next-generation horror game, which may yet end up as one of the best Xbox horror games.
What is The Medium?
The Medium is a horror game being developed by Bloober Team, a Polish studio behind Layers of Fear, Observer, and Blair Witch. The Medium is one of the first games that we know of announced exclusively for next-generation hardware.
The Medium gameplay and features
Here's everything we know about the gameplay and other details of The Medium.
- The Medium was initially conceived as a project all the way back in 2012.
- Unlike past Bloober titles, The Medium is not a first-person game but instead uses fixed camera angles, like in Until Dawn.
- You play as Marianne, a woman haunted by visions of a child's death.
- The game begins with Marianne traveling to an abandoned hotel resort.
- The soundtrack is being composed by Bloober's own Arkadiusz Reikowski and Akira Yamoaka, the composer for the Silent Hill franchise.
- Reikowski is scoring the music for the physical world, while Yamoaka scored the spiritual world.
- The two worlds interact in what Bloober teases is a "super secret feature" only possible on next-generation hardware. "I can say it's something to do with how the worlds interact with each other," lead designer Piejko teases, "and how you will be able to experience them."
- The Medium is Xbox Series X Optimized, supporting 4K and DirectX Ray Tracing on Xbox Series X.
- According to Game Producer Jacek Zieba, there are essentially no loading times.
- You can find the list of PC requirements that have been released.
- There is a monstrous creature known as The Maw.
You can check out about four minutes of gameplay footage in the video below.
There's also a trailer dedicated to the horrific thing known as The Maw.
The Medium trailers
You can see the reveal trailer for The Medium above. We've also got the Dual Reality trailer from the Xbox Games Showcase trailer below. We'll add more trailers here as more are released over the coming months.
Is The Medium coming to Xbox One?
No, The Medium is not coming to Xbox One. This is a next-generation game and according to Bloober Team, it wouldn't be possible to develop on current-generation hardware. It's possibly because the high-speed solid-state drive (SSD) in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S is needed to quickly transition between the physical world and the spirit world. According to Bloober, it has to do with the aforementioned "super secret feature."
Is The Medium coming to PS5?
No, at least not right now. The Medium has been announced for Xbox Series X and PC but no other platforms are listed at this time. This is not an Xbox Global Publishing game (meaning it's developed and published by Bloober Team) and Bloober Team's previous game, Blair Witch, was a timed Xbox and PC exclusive, so, it is possible that The Medium will come to PS5 at a later date.
The Medium release date
The Medium is scheduled to release on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and PC on December 10, 2020. When it does arrive, it'll also be available on Xbox Game Pass.
Dimensions of horror
Two worlds joined in terror
The Medium is a horror game that lets players go back and forth between the physical world and the spirit world. Using this dual-reality gameplay is necessary for solving puzzles and uncovering a horrific mystery.
Best of both worlds
Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold in one
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends. Right now, you can purchase a three-month subscription for a great price.
Xbox Series X/S
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.