During the May 7 showcase for third-party Xbox Series X games, one title was revealed by Polish studio Bloober Team. It's called The Medium and it's being developed exclusively for Xbox Series X and high-end PCs. While there's still a lot we don't know, we've compiled all the information we have on this next-generation horror game.
What is The Medium?
The Medium is a horror game being developed by Bloober Team, a Polish studio behind Layers of Fear, Observer, and Blair Witch. The Medium is one of the first games that we know of announced exclusively for next-generation hardware.
The Medium gameplay and features
Here's everything we know about the gameplay and other details of The Medium.
- The Medium was initially conceived as a project all the way back in 2012.
- Unlike past Bloober titles, The Medium is not a first-person game but instead uses fixed camera angles, like in Until Dawn.
- You play as Marianne, a woman haunted by visions of a child's death.
- The game begins with Marianne traveling to an abandoned hotel resort.
- The soundtrack is being composed by Bloober's own Arkadiusz Reikowski and Akira Yamoaka, the composer for the Silent Hill franchise.
- Reikowski is scoring the music for the physical world, while Yamoaka scored the spiritual world.
- The two worlds interact in what Bloober teases is a "super secret feature" only possible on next-generation hardware. "I can say it's something to do with how the worlds interact with each other," lead designer Piejko teases, "and how you will be able to experience them."
- The Medium is Xbox Series X Optimized, supporting 4K and DirectX Ray Tracing on Xbox Series X.
- According to Game Producer Jacek Zieba, there are essentially no loading times.
- You can find the list of PC requirements right here.
You can check out about four minutes of gameplay footage in the video below.
The Medium trailers
You can see the reveal trailer for The Medium above. We've also got the Dual Reality trailer from the Xbox Games Showcase trailer below. We'll add more trailers here as more are released over the coming months.
Is The Medium coming to Xbox One?
No, The Medium is not coming to Xbox One. This is a next-generation game and according to Bloober Team, it wouldn't be possible to develop on current-generation hardware. It's possibly because the high-speed solid-state drive (SSD) in the Xbox Series X is needed to quickly transition between the physical world and the spirit world. According to Bloober, it has to do with the aforementioned "super secret feature."
Is The Medium coming to PS5?
No, at least not right now. The Medium has been announced for Xbox Series X and PC but no other platforms are listed at this time. This is not an Xbox Global Publishing game (meaning it's developed and published by Bloober Team) and Bloober Team's previous game, Blair Witch, was a timed Xbox and PC exclusive, so, it is possible that The Medium will come to PS5 at a later date.
The Medium release date
The Medium is scheduled to release on Xbox Series X and PC sometime in Holiday 2020. When it does arrive, it'll also be available on Xbox Game Pass.
Dimensions of horror
Two worlds joined in terror
The Medium is a horror game that lets players go back and forth between the physical world and the spirit world. Using this dual-reality gameplay is necessary for solving puzzles and uncovering a horrific mystery.
Best of both worlds
Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold in one
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over 200 games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends. Right now, you can purchase a three-month subscription for a great price.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Got $200? If so, you can afford one of these excellent displays.
Getting a great PC monitor doesn't mean you have to spend megabucks. There are naturally some compromises, and you won't get 4K in that price range. But that's not always a bad thing. These are the best options for less than $200.
Surface Duo is better at multitasking than Galaxy Z Fold 2. Here's why.
The $2,000 Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 and $1,400 Microsoft Surface Duo are garnering many headlines because of pricing, and they both "fold" in some manner. But these devices are radically different, a point demonstrated with great effectiveness by @iAm_erica in this new video.
Review: Samsung Galaxy Book S brings amazing battery life, tough keyboard
Samsung's Galaxy Book S runs the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx ARM processor. With a slick, slim design and weighing just 2.1lbs how does this ultra-light laptop handle office productivity? With exceptionally good battery life and that always-on 4G LTE we have some thoughts in our latest review.
Finding Xbox One Wireless Controller replacement parts is easy
Here are all the replacement Xbox One controller parts you need for an easy fix.