What you need to know
- The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is now generally available, but Microsoft is continuing to test fixes with Insiders.
- Windows 10 build 18362.145 is now available to Slow and Release Preview ring Insiders with a slew of fixes in tow.
- The fixes in this cumulative update will eventually make their way to everyone.
Even as the Windows 10 May 2019 Update has started its general rollout, Microsoft has opted to continue testing more fixes with Windows Insiders. Insiders on the Slow and Release Preview rings today can download Windows 10 preview build 18362.145, bringing with it several fixes.
Here's a look at what's included:
- Addresses an issue that may prevent Custom URI Schemes for Application Protocol handlers from starting the corresponding application for local intranet and trusted sites on Internet Explorer.
- Addresses an issue that prevents certain apps from launching when you set folder redirection for the Roaming AppData folder to a network path.
- Addresses an issue that my turn off Night light mode during display mode changes.
- Addresses an issue that may distort the rendering of a full-screen game when the Microsoft Game bar is visible on top of the game.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the removal of Bluetooth® peripheral devices from some systems with specific Bluetooth radios.
- Addresses an issue that may cause event 7600 in the Domain Name System (DNS) server event log to contain an unreadable server name.
- Addresses an issue in which the dots per inch (DPI) of the guest does not match the host.
- Addresses an issue that may cause an external USB device or SD memory card to be reassigned to an incorrect drive during installation. For more information, see "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10" error on a computer that has a USB device or SD card attached.
- Addresses an issue in which a File Share Witness does not remove Server Message Block (SMB) handles, which causes a server to eventually stop accepting SMB connections.
- Addresses an issue that prevents an application protocol URL from being opened when hosted on an intranet page.
- Addresses an issue with BranchCache when it is in distributed cache mode. BranchCache may use more disk space than assigned for the republication cache. To fully address the issue, devices that have exceeded the disk space assignments should empty BranchCache using the netsh branchcache flush command.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent some Direct3D applications and games from entering full-screen mode if the display's orientation has been changed from the default.
- Addresses an issue with creating a Windows catalog file on an x64 system using Windows System Image Manager. For more information, see What's new in ADK kits and tools.
If you're on the Slow or Release Preview rings, you should be able to grab this batch of fixes via Windows Update now. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too long before we see the fixes included in this cumulative update make their way to everyone running the Windows 10 May 2019 Update.
Cheap PC accessories we love
Take a gander at these awesome PC accessories, all of which will enhance your Windows experience.
Anker 4 port USB 3.0 hub ($10 at Amazon)
Whether on a desktop or laptop PC, you always need more ports to connect things to. This hub gives you an additional four USB 3.0 Type A ports.
Ikea Fixa Cable Management System ($11 at Amazon)
This IKEA cable management kit is your ticket to a clean setup. It's simple and functional.
NZXT Puck ($20 at Amazon)
This clever little accessory has powerful magnets on the rear to make it stick to any of the metal panels on your PC case or anything else. It's great for hanging accessories like headsets.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Benchmarking the new Surface Book 3 15 with GTX 1660 Ti and 10th Gen i7
Although it's too early for a review, here are some initial benchmarks from the new Surface Book 3 15-inch with a Core i7 and NVIDIA GeForce 1660 Ti (Max-Q) and how it compares to Surface Book 2 and other premium laptops. Spoiler: While the CPU is just OK, that 1660 Ti definitely bumps up the Book 3's potential.
Minecraft Dungeons has a major secret Diablo fans will love (spoilers)
Minecraft Dungeons is here, and I can't stop playing it. As we dive deeper into the end game, we keep finding more and more secrets, and one has been found now that Diablo fans will love.
Halo 2's PC launch instability was unacceptable, and Halo 3 can't repeat it
The launch state of Halo 2's multiplayer on PC was simply unacceptable, and the fact that the game was allowed to release in this state raises serious concerns about how future Halo ports, especially Halo 3, will turn out. Here's why this can't happen again if Halo is to be successful on the PC platform.
Best Windows 10 Wallpaper Apps and Websites in 2020
You stare at your desktop wallpaper all day, so why leave it boring or as the Windows 10 default wallpaper? These websites and apps will help you keep your desktop fresh and beautiful.