We're just over two weeks past the last round of Windows 10 "Patch Tuesday" updates, but Microsoft is shipping out another round for October 2018 Update PCs today. As is the case with these updates, there aren't ny new features to check out. Instead, you'll find a long list of fixes.
Today's release moves the build number up to 17763.348 (opens in new tab) and includes the following fixes:
- Enables "Retpoline" for Windows on certain devices, which may improve performance of Spectre variant 2 mitigations (CVE-2017-5715). For more information, see our blog post, "Mitigating Spectre variant 2 with Retpoline on Windows".
- Addresses an issue that may cause the Action Center to suddenly appear on the wrong side of the screen before appearing on the correct side.
- Addresses an issue that may fail to save some inked content in a PDF in Microsoft Edge. This occurs if you erased some ink quickly after starting the inking session and then added more ink.
- Addresses an issue that displays the media type as "Unknown" in the Server Manager for storage class memory (SCM) disks.
- Addresses an issue with Remote Desktop access to Hyper-V Server 2019.
- Addresses an issue that causes the republication BranchCache to take more space than it's been assigned.
- Addresses a performance issue when establishing a Remote Desktop connection from a web Remote Desktop client to Windows Server 2019.
- Addresses a reliability issue that may cause the screen to remain black after resuming from Sleep if you close a laptop lid while disconnecting the laptop from a docking station.
- Addresses an issue that causes the overwriting of file on a shared folder to fail because of an Access Denied error. This issue occurs when a filter driver is installed.
- Enables peripheral role support for some Bluetooth radios.
- Addresses an issue that may cause printing to PDF to fail during a Remote Desktop session. This issue occurs while attempting to save the file and redirect drives from the client system.
- Addresses a reliability issue that may cause the main laptop screen to flash when resuming from Sleep. This issue occurs if the laptop is connected to a docking station that has an indirect display.
- Addresses an issue that displays a black screen and causes a Remote Desktop session to stop responding when using certain VPN connections.
- Updates time zone information for Chile.
- Addresses an issue that fails to register USB cameras correctly for Windows Hello after the out of box experience (OOBE) setup.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Microsoft enhanced Point and Print compatibility driver from installing on Windows 7 clients.
- Addresses an issue that causes Termservice to stop working when Remote Desktop is configured to use a hardware encoder for Advanced Video Coding (AVC).
- Addresses an issue that locks a user account when you move applications to a shared platform using App-V. Improves the reliability of the UE-VAppmonitor.
- Addresses an issue that prevents App-V applications from starting and generates error 0xc0000225 in the log. Set the following DWORD to customize the maximum time for the driver to wait for a volume to be available:"HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\MAV\Configuration\MaxAttachWaitTimeInMilliseconds".
- Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent some applications from displaying the Help (F1) window correctly.
- Addresses an issue that causes flickering of the desktop and taskbar on Windows Server 2019 Terminal Server after using the User Profile Disk setup.
- Addresses an issue that fails to update a user hive when you publish an optional package in a Connection Group after the Connection Group was previously published.
- Improves performance related to case-insensitive string comparison functions such as _stricmp() in the Universal C Runtime.
- Addresses a compatibility issue with parsing and playback of certain MP4 content.
- Addresses an issue that occurs with the Internet Explorer proxy setting and the out of box experience (OOBE) setup. The initial logon stops responding after Sysprep.
- Addresses an issue in which the desktop lock screen image set by a Group Policy will not update if the image is older than or has the same name as the previous image.
- Addresses an issue in which the desktop wallpaper image set by a Group Policy will not update if the image has the same name as the previous image.
- Addresses an issue that causes the TabTip.exe touchscreen keyboard to stop working in certain conditions. This issue occurs when you use the keyboard in a kiosk scenario after replacing the default shell.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the new Miracast connection banner to remain open after a connection is closed.
- Addresses an issue that may cause virtual disks to go offline when upgrading a 2-node Storage Space Direct (S2D) cluster from Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019.
- Addresses an issue that fails to recognize the first character of the Japanese Era name as an abbreviation and may cause date parsing issues.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent Internet Explorer from loading images that have a backslash () in their relative source path.
For PCs on the October 2018 Update, you can grab these fixes now by checking Windows Update.
Sweet Jebus that's a lot!!! Downloading now. *please don't destroy my poor Go*
It's not showing for me. I am still on 17763.346
Thankfully they fixed the issue of some ink not saving when modifying PDF's. Annoying adding notes and when reopening it, 70% of the ink content is missing, so what you have instead of words are random lines that made up some of the letters.
One suggestion regarding Edge is to the improve its hardware acceleration when opening PDF's. Complex PDF's made up of multiple lines just take TOO LONG to load and appear, especially when zooming and panning. There are workarounds, I bought drawboard PDF which opens, loads and renders the PDF ALOT quicker, but it would be good to have that built in.
Thanks for the heads up. Downloading right now on my Surface Book.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.