After shipping out to Windows Insiders on the Fast ring earlier this week, Windows 10 preview build 17120 is now available for Insiders on the Slow ring. This makes the second build to hit Microsoft's more leisurely Insider release branch in the past week, and it brings a handful of new features and improvements. Here's a recap.
Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) Improvements
- The Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) Team has introduced new improvements for users to have a better experience with our upcoming release. We have combed through our user feedback and acted to ensure your needs are met. On top of significant performance improvements, we have added an ability to download documents highlighted below.
- Performance improvements: The teams at Microsoft are constantly working to improve performance for our users. Windows Defender Application Guard is no different. In this upcoming feature update, you will notice an improvement in the launch time for Application Guard. We have made the start process lighter and faster, which will provide our users with a better experience when accessing Microsoft Edge in Windows Defender Application Guard.
- Download files to the host: One of the items our users voiced was an inability to "download files from within WDAG" to the host. This created an inconsistent experience for Edge overall as downloaded files were stuck inside the container. In this release, users can turn on a feature to download files from their WDAG browsing session onto the host file system. This feature is available in the Windows 10 Enterprise edition and must be turned on. Once the feature is enabled, users will be able to download files into a folder created in their Downloads folder and open all files on the host.
Windows Mixed Reality
Earlier this week, we announced that Insiders can take a sneak peek at the latest features coming this spring to Windows Mixed Reality as of Build 17115. With this build, the Windows Mixed Reality Team would like to let you know about a few known issues as you try out the new Windows Mixed Reality features:
- We're investigating reports of a performance regression for Windows Mixed Reality on hybrid laptops on this build.
- In some cases, the inbox apps will fail to load inside of Windows Mixed Reality and newly placed Holograms may be empty. Restarting Windows Mixed Reality should resolve both issues.
- Windows Mixed Reality will crash if you launch the Store from Movies & TV, and then close both apps.
- The ambient sound in Skyloft is louder than it should be.
- On laptops with hybrid GPUs the video doesn't render for 360 videos rendered directly in the Edge app although you can still hear the sound.
- The 360 viewer fails to launch from the Store app when you click on the "Launch" button after installing the 360 Viewer Edge extension. To workaround manually launch Edge and then enable the 360 Viewer extension.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- When a process in Task Manager is suspended, or has suspended child processes, you'll now see an icon indicating as much in the Status column of the Processes tab.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the UAC dialog potentially not rendering correctly in the last few flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in OneNote crashing when using touch to drag and drop elements in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the touch keyboard crashing when focus was moved to certain password fields.
- We've improved the performance of Bluetooth mice when the system is under load.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Amharic keyboard not working in Win32 apps.
If you're on the Slow ring, build 17120 should be available now via Windows Update. For more, check out Microsoft's full release notes.
What is DirectX, and why does it matter for gaming?
DirectX is a core Windows feature that gives game makers the ability to utilize your computer's hardware resources. With DirectX 12 Ultimate, Microsoft is rolling out a series of new features that makes next-gen games that much more enticing.
Xbox One S vs. Xbox One X: Which should you buy?
When it comes to Xbox, right now you have two different consoles to choose from. Which is better for you? Let's take a look.
Halo 3 launches early on Windows 10 and Steam
Halo 3 was slated to release during the afternoon of July 14, but 343 Industries decided to give it to us a little earlier! Here's everything you need to know.
10 must-have apps for any new PC
You just purchased a new PC and set it up, and now you're looking for some great apps. Look no further. These are the best apps for your new Windows 10 PC.