Xbox Music and Video updated for Windows Phone with fixes and speed improvements
True to their word, Microsoft has pushed out two new updates for their Xbox Music and Xbox Video apps for Windows Phone 8.1. Microsoft is on a tight schedule, delivering updates to those apps every two weeks in an effort to bring them to par.
Heading to the Store and version 184.108.40.206 for Xbox Music and 220.127.116.11 for Xbox Video are now live for downloading and updating.
Currently, both changelogs filed "bug fixes and improvements" as being in this update. However, the teams behind the app has updated their User Voice pages with specifics, which are listed below:
Xbox Music 18.104.22.168
- It's faster to load your collection, particularly the collection lists and artist details
- Scrolling in your collection album and artist lists is smoother
- While your phone is charging, the app will opportunistically sync with your cloud collection
- Better messaging as your collection builds and syncs with the cloud
We also fixed a number of bugs! A few notable issues we addressed:
- Album art not appearing (or incorrectly using the Xbox Music catalog version) when present in local MP3s
- Scrolling through a playlist being jerky and seeming to scroll infinitely
- Shuffling your collection having too few songs, and including duplicates
- 'New music' items showing either twice or not at all
Xbox Video 22.214.171.124
- Quicker loading for personal video, movie and TV show collections
- Expired rental downloads are now automatically cleaned up to free up disk space
- Additional bug fixes
Head to the Store to download both updates and let us know what you think in comments! (Users may want to re-pin the Xbox Music app to their Start screen after the update)
Source: Xbox Music User Voice, Xbox Video User Voice; Thanks, Jesse C., for the tip!
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in your inbox, every day!
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.
No, wait. The other way round :-P
I wish MS made all their WP engineers use an iPhone for a month - while far from perfect, the iTunes/Music apps are light years better than these latest XBM releases.
WPC needs to cover this big time Dan!
- if you miss decent sync and music management functionality with your local music collection
- you prefer to have your music play flawlessly on your device from local storage (i.e rather than the streaming that seems to get all the focus):
I appreciate the bug fixes but recently there are no features added, many are features missing in this WP8.1 release. I'm longing for Live Tile and still it's not present, no history and newly added list, and Now Playing screen (I personally prefers this than what we have now).
I'm still hopeing also for new features like Gapless playback, customizable Album Artist photos, and Music Locker on OneDrive .
WP8.1. Xbox Music looks boring, previews music hub. :(
I think Xbox team is playing with is, update it with a really useful features or something we can notice, or give us our built in hub
Someone please help me!!!
What should I do.??
I agree, but in this "I want it to be given to me for free or I might pay $1." world, the average person, I think, has lost all touch with the costs, time, and effort involved in most efforts. I'm not wealthy but I own a small business and I always try to pay my own way when I can, to the extent that I can.
People need to be incentivized and customers have to support what they like with their dollars.