It was just four days ago that Rovio, and by extension we, teased you about Angry Birds Go! arriving for Windows Phone 8. The link for the latest and greatest in Angry Birds gaming was leaked and passed around rapidly. But the sinking realization of the app’s inability to connect to Rovio’s servers hit quickly and many were left with just a useless icon on their device.
Tonight (or even early morning for some of you), that tale has come to an end as version 1.0 of a true working version of the game is now live in the Store. That's just shy of under two-weeks after iOS got the game, which isn't too bad for platform parity.
Weighing in at 98 MB, the latest Windows Phone 8 game is a new take on the popular franchise, taking a page from Mario Kart racing. The game notes in the description “Feel the rush as you fling those freewheeling birds and piggies down the track at breakneck speed – with plenty of twists and turns in a thrilling race to the finish line!”.
The game boasts these features:
- FIRST-EVER 3D ANGRY BIRDS WORLD! See the birds and pigs from every angle as Piggy Island comes alive in this rich and colorful 3D world!
- RACE AS THE BIRDS OR PIGS! Jump behind the wheel and race as Red, Chuck, Terence, Stella, King Pig, Moustache Pig and many other favorites!
- MASTER THE TRACKS! Plenty of racetracks, stunt roads, air courses and off-road races – each throwing big and unexpected challenges your way!
- AWESOME SPECIAL POWERS! Smash your opponents off the road and take that winning position thanks to unique special powers for each character!
- MANY GAME MODES! Test your skills with super-fun and surprising game modes: Race, Time Boom, Fruit Splat, Champion Chase and Mega Match!
- UPGRADE YOUR RIDE! From a homemade soapbox car to a super-fly supercar, with tons of karts and awesome ways to upgrade – yours to earn or purchase!
- MUCH MORE TO COME! The race has only just begun – so look out for many more fun things coming your way!
Indeed, the game at least looks like a nice changeup from the regular fling ‘em style of previous Angry Birds releases. Plus, it’s completely free (though you can bet there are some in-app purchases to make up for that “oversight”).
For now, we’re just going to fire up the 3D racer and take her for a spin, pardon the pun. For the rest of you, you can update the previous version or just grab the Store link here to get Angry Birds Go! for your Windows Phone 8 device. Note: you need at least 1 GB of RAM, so no Lumia 520/620/625/720s!
Thanks, Yarim B., Froi F., Kevin B., and Anmol M., for the tips!
Surface, Windows won't hit revenue guidance due to coronavirus
As the effects of the coronavirus are felt throughout the world, Microsoft warned today that it won't meet its expectations for its Surface and Windows revenues when it reports its next quarterly earnings.
Microsoft Edge's Surf game splashes into the Dev channel
Now you can get your Surf on in the Microsoft Edge Dev channel. The latest update brings the Easter egg to Dev channel testers, along with a tweak that lets you add the share button next to the address bar and more.
NBA 2K21: Everything you need to know
The NBA 2K series is a perennial favorite for good reason, and expected to elevate its game on next-gen consoles with NBA 2K21, we fill you in on everything you need to know.
Here are the best Windows Mixed Reality games you can play right now
To help you decide which Windows Mixed Reality games you should play first, we’ve rounded up the best on offer right now from the Microsoft Store and SteamVR.