Verizon customers:Get a year of Disney+ for free

All Articles by Chris Umiastowski

Attacking from the bottom: why Nokia's Android-powered phones make sense

Attacking from the bottom: why Nokia's Android-powered phones make sense

Chris Umiastowski 253

Today, at the start of Mobile World Congress, Nokia made it official. They are building Android-powered phones . I’m not going to rehash all of the data or walk you through the basics of the phone since that’s already been covered in-depth quite well today. While some at Microsoft may be embarrassed by what Nokia is doing, I can see how it’s a smart move that will help. First, let’s...

Facebook’s WhatsApp acquisition a bold move for the global instant messaging gold medal

Facebook’s WhatsApp acquisition a bold move for the global instant messaging gold medal

Chris Umiastowski 145

The news of Facebook acquiring WhatsApp for an enormous pile of money is front and center in the mobile communication industry today, and for good reason. Having watched WhatsApp grow from nothing into a cross platform winner over the last 5 years and doing a darn good job of executing on a growth plan, I'm impressed with what they've done. And while I was shocked to see the deal's...

Nokia's double digit growth today bodes well for the Windows Phone platform

Nokia's double digit growth today bodes well for the Windows Phone platform

Chris Umiastowski 172

Today Nokia reported its most recent quarterly results. Lumia volumes were up 19% sequentially, hitting a new record of 8.8 million shipments.  As Daniel pointed out earlier, these aren’t anywhere near iPhone volumes.  Apple shipped almost 38 million iPhones, or 4.3x more phone than Nokia Lumia this past quarter.  But that shouldn’t take away from Nokia’s accomplishment. They are single...

What’s with Stephen Elop’s getting millions for what many consider to be a failure?

What’s with Stephen Elop’s getting millions for what many consider to be a failure?

Chris Umiastowski 161

Today it seems everywhere you turn in the financial media, there is a story about how Nokia’s chairman screwed up in disclosing information about Stephen Elop’s bonus package to the media. Some of the reporting on it is a bit wonky, so I thought I’d clear things up. Long story short, Nokia’s chairman was initially quoted as saying Elop’s contract was essentially the same as that of the...

What to think about Nokia after yesterday’s 16% stock price collapse

What to think about Nokia after yesterday’s 16% stock price collapse

Chris Umiastowski 183

Yesterday, Nokia CEO Stephen Elop took the stage to unveil two important new Lumia phones powered by Microsoft’s new Windows Phone 8 OS.  Despite positive reviews of the hardware, the stock collapsed by 16%.   What does all this mean?  Why did the stock collapse and what does it mean for the future of Nokia and Windows Phone?  Is there a real message here, or is this simply panic and...

Analysis - Nokia progressing through challenging transition with Windows Phone

Analysis - Nokia progressing through challenging transition with Windows Phone

Chris Umiastowski 43

Today Nokia revealed its interim financial results for Q2 2012.  Nothing too shocking, really.  Keep in mind that this is a company that was once the largest phone manufacturer in the world, driven by Symbian and feature phones. Nokia now has to find its place in the smartphone market, and this position will really depend upon the market success of Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform. ...

Gartner data shows Nokia and Microsoft face intense battle against Samsung and Apple

Gartner data shows Nokia and Microsoft face intense battle against Samsung and Apple

Chris Umiastowski 48

Industry research firm Gartner just released its latest data on mobile phone sales for the first quarter of 2012. There are some interesting points to be pulled out of this report that I wanted to address. Samsung dominates Android. Gartner’s data says that Korea-based Samsung shipped over 40% of all Android handsets last quarter. So that still leaves 60% of the market to other vendors...