Doom Eternal delayed to March 2020, Doom 64 announced for Xbox One
It's not almost demon-slaying time!
What you need to know
- Doom Eternal now has a release date of March 20, 2020.
- The title is a first-person shooter with plenty of gore.
- The team delayed the game to polish up the experience.
- You can preorder the game for $60 at Amazon.
Doom Eternal is an upcoming first-person shooter that continues the story of the reboot. It looks absolutely spectacular on Xbox One X and should provide plenty of single-player and multiplayer enjoyment. In addition to Xbox One, Doom Eternal should be available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch. It was also announced for Google Stadia a few months ago.
Unfortunately, the game has been delayed for all platforms, with the Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4 versions launching on March 20, 2020 now. You can read a statement from the developer below.
An update on DOOM Eternal: pic.twitter.com/2LWrfh6e4ZAn update on DOOM Eternal: pic.twitter.com/2LWrfh6e4Z— DOOM (@DOOM) October 8, 2019October 8, 2019
You can read about the new additions below.
- Invasion Mode: Invasion Mode allows you to enter another player's game as a playable demon. This will be a free update shortly after launch.
- Doom Eternal for Nintendo Switch: The port will release after the other platforms. There's no concrete release date yet.
- Doom 64: Doom 64 is coming to Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4 in addition to Nintendo Switch. It's going to be a preorder bonus.
Curiously enough, Google Stadia was absent from the statement. We reached out to Bethesda for clarification, and a spokesperson for the company said that contrary to what Google said, no release date was ever announced for Doom Eternal on Stadia, so it wasn't a launch title. They had nothing else to share at this time.
What do you think of the delay? Which platform are you going to play on? Let us know. The game is Xbox One X Enhanced and seems to utilize dynamic resolution on the system. This means that the resolution can fluctuate from 4K to a lower value, but the frame rate is locked to 60 frames per second.
Related: Our full DOOM Eternal Xbox One review
Hell on Earth
Doom Eternal is the next frenetic iteration in the long-running franchise. Set for launch in 2020, the game aims to bring even more fast-paced action to consoles and PC with new enemies, story, multiplayer modes, and more.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.