Forza Motorsport 6 has launched at last. The latest in Microsoft's racing simulation series, Forza 6 includes over 450 cars, 26 tracks, realistic rain and fog, and night racing. With a 70+ hour career mode, new online leagues, and 24-car multiplayer races, it's safe to call this the biggest and best mainline Forza yet.
For creative gamers, a big part of the Forza series' draw is creating custom decals and car designs. Forza 6 does not disappoint, offering the same robust editor as found in Forza 4 and 5. Users can even share and download their designs, making it easy to decorate your car with community designs. This guide will walk you through downloading custom decals and applying them to your cars.
Why custom decals
The designs players can apply to their cars in Forza 6 are referred to as decals, vinyls (yes this is a word), or layer groups. We'll mostly call them decals because I like to imagine that our custom designs actually get turned into stickers that people will apply to their cars. Also, the word vinyls makes some people cranky.
We're saving decal creation for another guide, so this one focuses entirely on how to get decals made by others and apply them to your vehicle of choice. You don't need to be creative or invest a lot of time when applying existing vinyl designs, so anybody can do it in a snap.
Forza 6's menus are a bit clumsy and confusing as far as procuring decals, but there are two ways to get them. Either go to Create Vinyl Group or Paint Car. Use Create Vinyl Group when you want to find designs for future use. Pick Car painting when you want to apply designs directly to your car.
Car painting is the more streamlined approach, so that's what we'll explain.
Getting custom decals
- From the main Forza 6 menu, head right four pages to Customize.
- Select Paint Car.
- Go to Car Select and choose the car you'd like to Customize. If you already have that car selected, skip this step.
- Select Apply Decals.
- Choose which side of the car you'd like to decorate. Use the LB and RB buttons to switch sides and surfaces.
- Pick New Layer and then Apply a vinyl shape. If you already downloaded or created the decal you want to use, you could Load a layer group instead.
- From the Vinyl Select menu, you can press LB to view a small selection of custom designs or use RB to browse the default shapes and letters provided by Turn 10.
- To really personalize your car's appearance, you'll want to search for custom decals. Press the View/Back button to Search.
Using the Vinyl Search menu
The Vinyl Search menu has four meaningful criteria to help you find designs. You can ignore the Max Layers field as it's basically useless.
- Keyword 1 and 2 allow users to browse designs by category. Set Keyword 1 to see all of the designs within that category. Set Keyword 2 as well to narrow the design results.
- Creator is a great way to find designs that friends and people you know have shared. Search for EastX to find all of my designs - be sure to hit the X button and Follow Creator as well!
- Description lets you search for specific keywords that appear in a vinyl's description. For instance, you can search for all designs with Mario or Zelda in their descriptions. This is the best way to find just the right decal when you already have something in mind.
Any designs you pick will be saved to your profile for later use, even if you end up removing them from the car. You can delete decals from your profile from the My Vinyl Groups menu.
Applying custom decals
Having selected a decal, you can now position it on your car. Use the following options to modify the decal's position and appearance:
- Move: Slide the decal around as needed using the left analog stick or d-pad.
- Size: Press RB to switch from Move to Size. Use the left analog stick or d-pad to adjust the vinyl's size. Setting the size to a negative value will flip the design 180 degrees, but it will not mirror it.
- Spin: Press RB to switch from Size to Spin. Use the left analog stick or d-pad to rotate the decal.
- Color: Press the Y button to adjust the color of the decal. This will change the design to a solid color, not adjust specific colors within the design. Use it to create shadows, silhouettes, etc.
- Stamp: If you want to apply more than one of the same vinyl on the same side of the car, press the Y button to stamp as many copies of the decal as you'd like. If you only want to apply the decal once, press A instead.
More application tips
- Adjusting multiple decals: You can adjust multiple vinyls at once by highlighting them. To select multiple specific decals, press or hold Right Trigger on every decal you want to select. Press RT again to deselect a decal. Alternately, select one decal and pick Highlight all layers to do just that. You can now perform mass adjustments from the Edit selected layers menu.
- Changing decal order: Want to move a decal in front of or behind other decals? Highlight or place the cursor over the decal(s) to move and press the X button to Cut them. Now scroll left or right on the decal list and press the Y button to Insert the decal(s) in the desired place. You can also Insert decals on different sides of the car.
- Mirroring decals: Forza 6 doesn't make it easy to mirror a design (flip it on the X axis), but there is a way! Apply the decal whose orientation you want to change to either the left or right side of the car. Then switch to the other side, pick New Layer, and choose Insert all from right/left side. Anything that faced right will now face left and vice versa!
When you're finished decorating your car, press the B button to access the Save menu. Choose Save to current car to complete and apply the design. If you're not working with other players' custom decals, you can choose Save to design catalog and share to let other players download your car design.
Liking custom vinyls
After downloading a custom decal, it's only fair to show the creator some thanks by liking his or her design. Remember, any decal you use is automatically saved to your profile. To like a custom vinyl:
- From the main Forza 6 menu, head right four pages to Customize.
- Go to My Vinyl Groups.
- Select the decal you wish to like and press A to bring up its context menu.
- Choose Like. That's called spreading the love!
Decorate your car with the Windows Central logo and more
Want to show your Windows Central pride when racing online? Then grab our logo decals and apply them to your favorite cars! I've created a large library of decals for our readers to enjoy, including logos and a variety of videogame sprite designs.
- To see all of my decals, search by Creator for EastX. Be sure to hit the X button and Follow Creator as well!
- To grab only the Windows Central logos, search by keyword for Windows Central.
- Remember to Like the decals you download! See instructions in previous section.
Be sure to share screenshots and photos of your Windows Central-decorated car in the comments of this guide and our other Forza 6 articles!
More Forza Motorsport 6 coverage
Don't miss our other big Forza 6 stories!
- Forza review with 60 FPS video review
- How to get free and premium DLC cars in Forza 6
- Forza 6 VIP membership review
- Forza 6 Car Pass review – Coming soon!
Stay tuned for more Forza 6 guides from your good friends at Windows Central.
Windows Central Newsletter
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Step one. Hire Paul to make one.
Thanks dude! I'm pretty good with pixel art, but I still need to practice my car designs and layouts.
I am not that good. I am impressed with your logo.
Just so you know, people call them vinyls as short hand for vinyl decals. They are made on a vinyl film coated with a light adhesive on the back side, then laser printed with a high temp foil to add the various colors and images. Finally they are cut on a plotter and applied. If you have a back for it on forza you could probably do it in in RL. The game is surprisingly accurate.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. :)
Hey Paul. Do you ever do commissioned work for people? I would like my business logo generated on Forza but have no where near the skills to do it.
Oh come on one more . Or . Com lol
cant wait 2 get this game...will it b available on store
It's already available on the Xbox One Store in some countries. More go live on the 18th.
Am a pretty good designer esp wth the Mustang
I think what's really cool is turn 10 have permission from Nintendo for example to have Mario decals etc. Just shows you, opposing companies can have common ground even with exclusives.
Hmm... Where'd you read that?
I think Paul used pixel art to create depictions of Super Mario objects and characters.
Yeah, exactly. This article is all about custom decals created by users. The default, non-custom decals are just basic shapes and letters.
I was lookig for a Windows Central post on this exact topic a few hours ago, and ended up just figuring it out my self. As an aside, love having the Windows Central decal on my cars.
Thanks for your support! :D
Its a shame they are transferable between games. I spent hours designing in Forza 5, I'm not sure I want to spend that time again in 6, or in Horizon 2.
Ah, but Forza 5 and Forza Horizon 2 decals are transferable to Forza 6. Just head to "My Vinyl Groups" and press RB to switch to your groups from either previous game.
Awesome. I made a wicked mock-up of both the front and back of a Lumia 1020 on Forza 5. If anyone wants to have a look, search for either Lumia 1020 in the description, or SN1PER SK33T as the creator!
I would like to put an unauthorized picture of Bob from Bob's Burgers on the hood of a car.
That'd be an awesome design! I mostly work with pixel art, else I'd give it a shot. Bob's Burgers is my most-watched animated comedy. Also a big fan of Archer and Bojack Horseman.
Are you able to import Forza 5 art into Forza 6? Nevermind, I see that in the comments now. Good deal.
Already answered that in another comment. Looks like I need to add it to the guide as well.
Thanks, Paul. I was trying to find the option yesterday, and was confused, thinking, "what!? Did Turn 10 get rid of it?"
That Metroid vinyl looks awesome
More Forza Motorsport 6 *coverage
This game is comfortable with windows10(mobile) or this is only for windows pc..?
It's only for Xbox One. No PC version has been announced.
The Forza series Livery Editor is by far the best one i have yet to work with, I just love to design custom vinyl groups and do some art work.
Pretty damn impressive pixel art Paul!
Thanks very much! :D
thanks paul i wanted to know how to work out the designing process and thanks turn 10 for the great game
Finaly, forza 6 arrived. I own every Forza in town. Horizon i sold due to my sim need. About the choosing of the colours in Forza 6. In previous versions you could TWEAK the colour you choosed. Especialy in between black and white, you could find a shade of grey that i cannot pick anymore in the new Forza 6. It's just a little thing but i can't see what difference it would of made if they put it in there. Also the change of background, like in Forza 3 and 4 is gone. Cant take a picture anywhere else than that 1 spot. Fairly in beginning stage of the game, but as a race freak who raced forza from day 1 i do find it strange that some things got left away. Not even talking about the storefront that was already gone in Forza 5. Still i am happy with the game. As long as the online servers run good, i forgive all other things. But i hope they will get things spot on in future version.
I've seen so many custom decals/vinyls in forza6 and have created some in game (not very good at using forzas tools to create). But I am really good with Photoshop and would like to know how I can import my own artwork into forza to use as vinyls/decals designs. I've heard that some people use Pixel Art to create custom vinyls. But the million dollar question is how do you import them into your in game designs from outside of forza? Is there a site you go to to upload them into forza or something? Please help.
You can't import anything into Forza what so ever. Everything is made using the vinyl editor. To see what can be done www.facebook.com/skullreaperzzdesigns which is my fb forza artwork page that I post my new creations on. I have been painting in Forza for 8 years to get to my current level and have spent 40 hours on one vinyl before. My latest creation is The Joker from DC Comics.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.