The use of virtual private networks, or VPNs, is becoming more and more commonplace as many people seek to reduce their online footprint. Consoles don't have native VPN support, however, so playing games online while connected to a VPN isn't exactly a straightforward process. With the current generation of consoles in full swing with release of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, here's how to use a VPN with Xbox Series X, Series S so you stay private online.
How to use a VPN with Xbox Series X, Series S
Because consoles don't have native VPN support, you'll need to have a VPN-enabled PC with a spare Ethernet connection port. This allows you to run your console into the VPN via the PC. If you haven't yet set up your PC with a VPN, you'll need to do that first, either through the service app or via manually setting it up in Windows 10 or Windows 11.
- Connect an Ethernet cable between your Xbox Series X or S and the PC that has been set up with a VPN.
- Right-click the Start button.
- Click Settings.
- Click Network & Internet.
- Click Change adapter options.
- Right-click on your VPN icon.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab.
Check the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection box.
- Click the Select a private network connection box.
- Choose your Xbox's Ethernet connection.
- Press OK.
- Press the Xbox button on your Xbox controller.
- Navigate to and select Settings.
- Select the Network tab.
- Select Network settings.
- Select the Test network connection tile. Your console should connect to the internet.
Now enjoy browsing and accessing online services safely and securely. You'll need to make sure your PC is continuing to run for as long as you want to use your Xbox Series X or Series S with a VPN. If you ever turn it off, naturally, your Xbox won't be able to access the VPN.
As such, consider setting up the VPN on a desktop that'll be on for a long time. You'll also want to tweak your computer's settings so it doesn't turn off after a brief period of going without use.
Stay safe online
Regardless of whether you're playing on an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S, you can benefit in many ways using a VPN. With a VPN, you can bypass geographic restrictions, removing locks on websites based on the country, and accessing apps, games, videos, and more that are otherwise inaccessible.
In our review, we gave NordVPN an almost perfect score due to how it can be used on up to six different devices and has a large swathe of features like double VPN, P2P-dedicated servers, a DNS leak resolver, and a dedicated single IP address. NordVPN is based in Panama, so it's not required to record any activity.
We test and review VPN services in the context of legal recreational uses. For example:
1. Accessing a service from another country (subject to the terms and conditions of that service).
2. Protecting your online security and strengthening your online privacy when abroad.
We do not support or condone the illegal or malicious use of VPN services. Consuming pirated content that is paid-for is neither endorsed nor approved by Future Publishing.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.