Microsoft Edge Dev channel gets new collections features, extension sync
You can now add all of your tabs to a collection at once.
What you need to know
- Another weekly build is available for the Microsoft Edge Dev channel.
- This week, new features for collections and extension syncing are included.
- This update is available as version 83.0.461.1.
It's time for another weekly build on the Microsoft Edge Dev channel again, and there are quite a few handy features included with this update. This week's build number comes in at version 83.0.461.1, which is the first release for major version 83. Coming along with the update are a couple of improvements to help you build collections faster, extension sync, and more.
The most notable features are those for collections. You'll now be able to add all of your open tabs to a collection at once, and you can also drag multiple elements of a web page into a collection at the same time. Extension sync, a hotly anticipated feature that it appeared was rolling out last week, will keep your Edge extensions in line between all of your devices.
Here's a full look at what's new, fixed, and improved in this Microsoft Edge release.
- Added the ability to sync Extensions.
- Added a page to Settings to manage Family Safety settings.
- Added the ability to add all tabs to a Collection.
- Added the ability to drag multiple items from a webpage into a Collection at once on certain websites.
- Added support for adverb highlighting in Immersive Reader.
- Added support for the Scroll To Text Fragment management policy from upstream Chromium.
- Added a management policy to configure the deletion of cached files and images when the browser closes.
- Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
- Fixed an issue where closing a tab sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where installing an extension sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when opening the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where switching profiles sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the icon on the address bar to open the popup that shows more information about a website and what permissions it has sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the Time Trial mode of the surf game sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where navigating to an intranet website sometimes causes a browser crash if IE mode is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where trying to log into a website that uses the browser profile's credentials to automatically log in sometimes hangs the browser.
- Fixed a hang when using Read Aloud.
- Fixed an issue where DRM-protected video, like on Netflix, stutters when the stream's resolution changes.
- Fixed an issue where the Apps management page sometimes crashes.
- Fixed an issue where the profile icon on a Taskbar shortcut to a specific profile sometimes shows the default avatar instead of the correct profile picture.
- Fixed an issue where the ability to install a website as an app or pin it to the Taskbar is broken.
- Fixed an issue where corrupted extensions aren't properly detected as corrupted.
- Fixed an issue where opening an item from the History page's Recently Closed section doesn't remove it from that section.
- Fixed an issue where tabs show up in the "Recently Closed" section of History even though the option to delete browsing data on exit is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the link on the Favorites Bar to import favorites if none exist triggers the First Run Experience unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where middle-clicking on the Collections button opens the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping certain types of images into a Collection fails.
- Fixed an issue where the Collections pane doesn't immediately update its theme if it's open when the browser's theme is changed.
- Fixed an issue where the dialog to save a payment card sometimes appears on the wrong tab if a tab is switched to quickly after entering payment information.
- Fixed an issue where cookies sometimes are not properly saved in IE mode tabs.
- Fixed an issue where the button to fix an issue that's preventing IE mode from launching sometimes doesn't fix it.
- Fixed an issue where a website's ability to request geolocation information doesn't work in IE mode.
For more on this new build, including a look at all of the known issues, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes. If you're already testing the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, you can update your browser now. The Dev, Canary, and Beta channels are also available at the Edge Insider site, while the stable version is available to download at the official Edge site.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.