Yesterday, developer Bluehole revealed the 2018 roadmap for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) for PC. Aside from showcasing a lush new map, the developer promised a lot more content which gives gamers more to do. The studio has slightly different plans on Xbox One though. While the Xbox One spring roadmap is quite similar in terms of content, the focus here is more on performance and stability.
It's no secret that PUBG doesn't run well on Xbox One or Xbox One X. Before discussing the upcoming changes, the developer promised that it remains committed to delivering the best console experience possible. Over the next few months, the game will receive meaningful improvements to optimization, new content, compelling reasons to play, and refinements to the overall game. These changes were outlined in the "Spring Xbox PUBG Roadmap" posted on the game's forums today.
The most significant changes coming to the game are listed below.
- Desert map Miramar is coming to Xbox One in early spring.
- Patches will take longer to come out so expect one to hit every two to three weeks.
- The developer will let certain gamers test out Xbox One updates before they go live in Xbox Game Preview.
- Current console performance is unsatisfactory and the team has identified some key areas to increase frame rate. By making changes to building materials and reducing foliage composition, PUBG should run more consistently.
- Optimization to game characters and their movements to increase frame rate.
- Optimization of the number of particle effects that are spawned by vehicles and grenades to increase frame rate.
- Optimization of object collision complexity to increase frame rate.
- Balance the work across all CPU cores to reduce streaming hitches when moving.
- Better quality assets and the speed at which they load will improve in the future.
- Improved inventory display so it's more efficient and less cumbersome in high-tension situations.
- New controller layouts so that players can find a scheme that works for them.
- Improvements to matchmaking so that it's more fair.
- Ability to quickly report cheaters and those who engage in behavior like team-killing.
- Bullets will be able to pierce vehicles instead of simply chipping away at their health.
- Achievements will be coming to the game soon and will be quite creative.
- Capturing and sharing in-game actions will be easier than before.
- More customization options like emotes.
- Better audio quality and directional sound.
Hopefully Bluehole will be able to realize all of its goals by Spring 2018. It seems like a daunting task given the current state of the game.
PUBG is a last-man-standing shooter being developed with the help of community feedback. Starting with absolutely nothing, players must fight to locate weapons and supplies in a battle to be the only one alive. PUBG is a surprisingly realistic and high-tension title set on a massive island. Be sure to check out the game if you like competitive multiplayer experiences.
Keep an eye on WindowsCentral.com/Gaming for all the latest in Xbox and Windows 10 gaming, accessories, news, and reviews!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Alleged source code for Windows XP exposed in 4chan leak
Alleged Windows XP source code has surfaced online after a thread on 4chan gained steam this week. If genuine, the source code could pose a security threat for any remaining Windows XP systems, particularly if they're connected to the internet.
HP updates Reverb G2 ahead of launch, preorders start shipping in November
HP is finally nearly ready to start shipping its new Reverb G2 Windows Mixed Reality headset. Those who have already preordered the $600 headset should see them arrive in November, while anyone preordering after September 24 will see headsets arrive in December.
The 300Hz display on the Razer Blade 15 is way ahead of its time
Our favorite gaming laptop now has a 300Hz display option and it's smoother than your eyes can really see.
These are the best gaming laptops for playing PUBG
You have a lot of options when it comes to gaming laptops for playing PUBG. Luckily, this game can run on a lot of different machines. Here are our picks for the best laptops for PUBG.