Microsoft has unveiled a new Xbox One update on its way to members of the Xbox Insider Program, introducing both new features and bug fixes to those in the Alpha Preview. While the Fall Creators Update isn't scheduled for public release until later this year, recent builds continue to debut new additions for those on pre-release rings.
In recent builds of the operating system, a focus has laid with redesigning the Xbox One's user interface (UI) and incorporating the newly unveiled Fluent Design System. Continuing to build on the feature set of the console, today's update will introduce a new "Light theme" makeover for the dashboard inspired by Fluent Design, alongside improvements to how notifications are displayed.
The biggest addition in today's update is the long-awaited Light theme, which was first teased early last month. Following recent moves to improve the customizability of the Xbox OS, the new reskin of the dashboard will allow users to change up the color scheme of the UI, utilizing more whites and light grays. However, as a controversial choice which mostly comes down to personal preference, the original "dark theme" will still be enabled by default. The option to enable the white theme will be available in the Settings app shortly after the build has rolled out, at 9 a.m. PT / 12 p.m. ET on September 6.
Changes have also been made to how notifications are displayed, in a move to streamline how they can be consumed. While all notifications were previously dumped in the Action Center, these will now be sorted into their corresponding tabs on the Xbox Guide. For example, game invites will now be accessible via the Multiplayer tab, and achievement pop-ups can be accessed through Achievements.
Today's update also brings fixes to the Movies & TV app, as well as other video playback apps, fixing a previous bug that caused black screens when fast-forwarding. However, several issues are still present, affecting the Light theme, sign-in screens when using certain languages and other issues with third-party applications. Here's a breakdown of the full changelog, as provided by Microsoft.
OS version released: rs3_release_xbox_dev_1710.170831-1900
Available: 6:00PM PDT 9/5 (1:00AM GMT 6/9)
Light and Dark Themes
- We are adding new themes to the dashboard. In addition to the current theme, you'll be able to select a new light theme. Please note that this setting will not be enabled till 9.00am PDT 9/6/17 as we need all Alpha users to be on this new build. After 9.00am on 9/6 simply reboot your console to see the setting. 1. Navigate to Settings > Personalization > System personalization > System theme. 2. Select Light.
- Game invites are moving from Action Center to the Multiplayer tab of Guide and Recent Achievements will now be in the Achievements tab. This makes it easy to see at a glance if you have new invites or Achievements when opening the Guide, and makes accessing those notifications faster, now that other system notifications aren't in the way
Movies & TV and Misc Media Apps
- Black screens during movie playback have been fixed as has Fast Forward.
- There are some known visual contrast issues in messaging, the entertainment twist and the Mixer twist – you may see white one white. Fixes will be coming soon.
- When using Arabic or Hebrew language and signing in with a profile using the "Lock it down" security preference, the sign-in screen which requests Microsoft account e-mail address and password is distorted. This does not affect the profile if it is set to use the "Ask for my passkey" or "No barriers" security preferences. Workaround: Set the console to use another language, sign-in, and set the profile's security preference to "Ask for my passkey" or "No barriers". Alternatively, you can still type in your password as normal using the virtual keyboard though the screen is distorted.
- When using Hebrew language, Netflix fails to launch.
Minecraft Better Together Beta
- Other games fail to launch after launching the Minecraft Beta. Workaround: This occurs if the Minecraft Beta is the first game launched after powering on the console; launch another game before Minecraft to avoid this issue. If you are stuck in this state, hard reset your console.
- 3D Blu-Ray content plays in 2D.
- Game Hub isn't accurately tracking Gamerscore and achievement unlocks for certain games.
Are you planning to use the light theme on Xbox One going forward? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.