What you need to know
- Microsoft Teams now lets you disable chat during meetings.
- Chat can be disabled or enabled on a per-meeting basis.
- You can also set it so attendees can only chat during the meeting.
Thousands of people requested for Microsoft Teams to gain the ability to disable chats within meetings. Microsoft has responded and rolled out the feature to Teams. Now, people can enable or disable chat on a per-meeting basis. A Microsoft engineer explains the feature in a Teams feedback forum (via ZDNet).
"Please allow meeting organizer to temporarily disable chat during a meeting," asked the original piece of feedback. Adding, "We often have people so focused on the chat, they don't pay any attention to the actual meeting. We'd love to be able to turn off chat at the beginning of the meeting, and then turn it back on at an appropriate point."
A Microsoft engineer confirmed that the feature is now avaialble, and shared a link to a Microsoft support page (opens in new tab).
The page explains that there are three options for chats during meetings:
- Enabled (default): Attendees can chat before, during, and after the meeting.
- Disabled: No one, including the organizer, can send chat messages.
- During the meeting only: Attendees can chat during the meeting. The organizer can send messages at any time.
To swap between these settings, use the option next to Allow meeting chat.
Sean Endicott is the news writer for Windows Central. If it runs Windows, is made by Microsoft, or has anything to do with either, he's on it. Sean's been with Windows Central since 2017 and is also our resident app expert. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I do like that they are adding features, however it does seem a bit extreme ends for the meetings. Will have to look at this more and look at how this would be implemented within my organization.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.