What you need to know
- OneDrive Personal Vault is now available for all users worldwide.
- The feature gives you a more secure folder protected by two-factor authentication and Bitlocker encryption on Windows 10, and more.
- The feature first began rolling out in select countries in June, but is now available across the globe.
Microsoft has rolled out OneDrive Personal Vault, a new extra-secure layer of your OneDrive storage meant to better protect sensitive files. Personal vault first began rolling out in select countries in June, but it's now available to OneDrive users worldwide, Microsoft announced today.
Your Personal Vault is like adding an extra layer of security for your files. The folder is an area in your OneDrive that is protected by a second layer of authentication, which can either be a PIN, your fingerprint, face unlock, or a code texted to your phone. Personal Vault also includes extra features like Bitlocker encryption on your Windows 10 hard drive, restricted sharing, and more.
Here's a brief look, as detailed by Microsoft:
- Scan and shoot—Using the OneDrive app, you can scan documents or shoot photos directly into your Personal Vault, keeping them off less secure areas of your device, like your camera roll.
- Automatic locking—No need to worry about whether you left your Personal Vault or your files open—both will close and lock automatically after a period of inactivity.3
- BitLocker encryption—On Windows 10 PCs, OneDrive automatically syncs your Personal Vault files to a BitLocker-encrypted area of your local hard drive.4
- Restricted sharing—To prevent accidental sharing, files in Personal Vault and shared items moved into Personal Vault cannot be shared.
Microsoft is advertising this as a way to securely store things like tax documents, insurance information, copies of your passport, or important photos. The second layer of identification will make sure that, even if your device is stolen, your most sensitive information will remain locked away.
Alongside Personal Vault, Microsoft also launched the option to automatically back up your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to OneDrive on Windows 7, 8, and 10 PCs with the OneDrive sync app.
Personal Vault is available now to everyone worldwide on PC, OneDrive.com, and mobile.
OneDrive is Microsoft's cloud storage solution. It can store photos, documents, videos, and is available on all major platforms.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Best Minecraft Dungeons character builds we've found so far
Minecraft Dungeons is a game all about the loot. As such, we thought we'd share some of the endgame builds we're currently using, that might help you get started with your own creations.
Check out these excellent Windows 10 laptops that come with LTE support
Need a quality Windows 10 laptop that can stay connected while on the go? Check out this roundup of the best devices complete with LTE modem.
The XPS 13, XPS 15, or XPS 17: Which Dell laptop would you choose?
Dell now has three different sizes for its XPS notebook. Each excels in its own right, so you might be wondering exactly which one is the best choice to suit your needs.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.