What you need to know
- Microsoft rolled out a long list of features for Teams in April 2022.
- Presenters now have more control over how they appear within Teams meetings.
- The mobile versions of Teams now support text predictions when composing messages.
Microsoft Teams gains several capabilities and options each month. Microsoft gathers together a roundup of everything added to Teams, including features, devices, and what's new in education. April 2022 was no exception, as it ushered in an expansive list of new tools for Teams.
You can read through the complete breakdown on Microsoft's Tech Community post (opens in new tab).
Meetings are one of the most common forms of communication on Teams. Microsoft added the ability to share system audio from meetings on the web, new options for presenters, and enabled automatic music detection to reduce background noise.
Here are the rest of the changes:
- Anonymous meeting join across clouds
- Usability improvements to notifications in meetings for iOS
- Share the system audio from meetings on web
- Presenter mode: Controls to move and resize presenter video
- Improved meeting support in Firefox browser
- Detect Music Automatically
- Support of Live Caption for Teams on VDI for Azure Virtual Desktop and Citrix
Calling through Teams gained a few new features as well. Most notably, the service gained a new banner for emergency calling. Here are all the new calling features:
- Outlook contacts available to select for calling
- Custom banner for Emergency Calling
- Administrator configuration of end user call forwarding settings
Only one change for devices rolled out last month, the option to restore the "Present" button on Microsoft Teams Rooms on Windows.
Quite a few certified devices for Teams were released in April 2022, including conference room speakers, tabletop devices, and hardware for meeting rooms. Below are all of the new Teams devices:
- Logitech RoomMate
- Logitech Tap Scheduler Panel
- Yealink Teams HD IP Conference Phone
- Huddly L1 and Crestron Flex
- Sennheiser TeamConnect Intelligent Speaker
- Yamaha ADECIA Ceiling Solution
- Extron DMP64 & DMP 128 PLUS C V AT DSP System
- EPOS ADAPT 361, 461T, and 661 headsets
Chat and collaboration
Teams users on mobile devices can now use text predictions when writing messages. Microsoft's infamous fluent emojis are also rolling out to Teams. Here's what's new for chat and collaboration:
- Text prediction for Teams mobile
- Power Automate templates to be added to teams templates
- New Fluent Emoji style coming to Teams emojis and reactions
- Suggested replies in chats
- Upload files to your approval request via Power Automate portal
- Chat filter for non-meeting chats
Power Platform and custom development
Teams gained support for automation templates in the Teams app store and message extension based entry point last month, the latter of which allows users to use pre-configured workflows through the message extension menu.
Admins and managers have a handful of new options in Teams now as well:
- Admins can pin message extensions
- Teams device store in Teams admin center
- Follow Office preview policy on Mac
- User request flows for blocked apps
Teams for Education
Only two new features shipped for Teams for Education in April:
- Students and educators get a notification when a new Class Notebook page is distributed
- Data reports after Teams meeting class
Teams added three new capabilities for frontline workers, the biggest of which is deeper integration with Microsoft Forms and the Microsoft Bookings app in Teams. Here are all of the new features for frontline workers:
- Virtual appointments through Microsoft Bookings in Teams - Microsoft Forms integration
- Walkie Talkie app in Teams is available on Kyocera 5G Rugged Smartphones
- New Tag Management Settings
Teams commercial customers often receive features earlier than those using the government versions of Teams. This is because features have to meet different standards to make their way to government organizations. Here's what's new for Teams users in US Government Community Cloud (GCC), US Government Community Cloud High (GCC-High), and/or United States Department of Defense (DoD):
- Attendance Dashboard
- Teams webinar capabilities
- Auto-answer meeting invites with video on for iOS devices
- Invite-only meeting options
- Share the system audio from meetings on web
- Large Gallery and Together Mode in Teams Meetings on Web and VDI
- Voice enabled channels for GCC H and DoD
- Roaming bandwidth control for GCC-High and DoD
- Dynamic Caller ID for Voice enabled channels, now available for GCC High and DoD
- Up to 25K members per team in DoD
- New default for Teams notification style for DoD
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org (opens in new tab).
My heart will continue to bleed as long as they don't bring back the finger emote.
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.