Phew! Today was fairly eventful, was it not? While not an awful lot was announced by Microsoft, we did manage to see Windows Phone 8 be formally launched into the wild with handsets confirmed for carriers in a number of markets. Welcome to our round-up, which will be useful should you had been absent through the presentation.
Microsoft launched Windows Phone 8 today in San Francisco. We saw Joe Belfiore take the stage as usual, with his children along for the ride and to help demonstrate the Kid's Corner. But that's not all, as model / actress Jessica Alba was also present to help present the platform. She's been wielding a red Lumia 920 since the hardworking mother upgraded from Windows Phone 7.x.
We were on the floor at the event and managed to not only live blog the entire presentation, but also bring the latest news to the homepage for pleasure of viewing. Today was a huge deal for us with the launch of the new Windows Phone Central website design, which we feel was the right move to make prior to the Microsoft presentation.
So what was unveiled during the presentation? Without repeating what we've written elsewhere, Microsoft had a number of Windows Phone 8 features on show. These included Kid's Corner, Xbox Music, Rooms, Office, Live Apps and Live Tiles, as well as apps and games that were on their way to the Windows Phone Store. There was a surprising amount of content to sieve through.
Among the apps and games said to be on their way were the following:
- Angry Birds Star Wars
- Temple run
- JetPack Joyride
The interesting deal (or twist) with Pandora is the service and app for Windows Phone will enable consumers of Microsoft's mobile platform to take advantage of a free one-year subscription or free music with no advertising. Sold.
Steve Ballmer also paid a visit to the stage to really beef up the exitement for the Windows Phones that are on the way. While he was no where near as jumpy as we'd like him to be, Ballmer got the job done and ended with carrier availability and pricing in the US.
If the event wasn't enough to satisfy your Windows Phone desires, then our Windows Phone 8 review might take some of your time to dive into what's on the horizon? If you're into HTC hardware, our Alex Dobie took a look at the HTC 8X and published a number of awesome photos to show off the device aesthetics. Did we mention our Dan Rubino received a AT&T Lumia 920 to review?
But like we said, there's a lot to get through, so be sure to check out our collection of links that you should definitely click through should you happen to have missed any part of our coverage.
- Windows Phone 8 Live Blog
- Windows Phone 8 SDK to be made available tomorrow at BUILD
- Poll: How was Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 event for you?
- Windows Phone 8 hardware availability coming into focus
- Windows Phone 8 availability within the UK, starting early November
Apps & Games
- AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 Video Unboxing!
- HTC 8X Windows Phone hardware preliminary review
- HTC 8X Windows Phone photo samples
- HTC 8X Windows Phone hands-on gallery
Windows Phone 8
- Overview and review of Windows Phone 8
- Keep track of data usage with Data Sense for Windows Phone 8
- Live wallpapers revealed for Windows Phone 8: Facebook, ESPN, USA Today and Bing
- The Kid's Corner in Windows Phone 8
- Windows Phone 8 Rooms feature
- Xbox Music on Windows Phone 8
- Windows Phone 8 OneNote Mobile
- Introducing the Windows Phone 8 Wallet
- Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Phone
- Windows Phone 8 brings new features to Skype
- New Accents in Windows Phone 8 offer more choice for personalisation
- WPCentral Contest: Win your choice of Windows Phone 8 device!
- Windows Phone 7.8 probably coming late
- NFC sharing between Windows Phone 8 and Android
- Microsoft unleashes new Windows Phone website
- Rogers announce they are preferred carrier for Windows Phone 8, launches Lumia 920 tomorrow
Unfortunately our website was encountering some issues where some readers were unable to publish comments on articles. We're pleased to announce that this bug has been fixed and should you be in the position where you were unable to participate in the conversation, we strongly urge you to return through our coverage and voice your opinions, and post any bugs you find in the designated forum thread.
Until next time, folks ... tomorrow, if we're accurate - it's time for BUILD 2012 and the Windows Phone 8 SDK.
The Razer Tomahawk is small in stature, but mighty in power
Razer has a new gaming PC on the scene, and this time it's a compact desktop. The Razer Tomahawk Gaming Desktop uses a variation of the Tomahawk case to bring a modular, powerful PC that's designed to take up very little of your desk space.
Review: Razer's Hammerhead True Wireless Pro deliver THX and ANC for gamers
If you're looking for really good wireless earbuds and also happen to like mobile gaming, the new Razer Hammerhead True Wireless Pro is what you need. Featuring THX audio, ANC, low-latency streaming, and excellent comfort, there's a lot to like. Here's what we think of them after a week of using them with iOS and Android.
Found out when Cyberpunk 2077 releases in your area on PC and console
Cyberpunk 2077 is really almost here, and CD Projekt RED has revealed the exact release times for local areas on PC and console, as well as pre-load information.
Here are the best Cyberpunk 2077 collectibles and merch
Cyberpunk 2077 is a huge game, and is accompanied by a massive pool of collectibles, accessories, and merch for everyone from hardcore collectors to dabbling fans. Here are the best collectibles and merch for Cyberpunk 2077.