What are the Minecraft RTX minimum and recommended PC requirements?
RTX at a budget
Minecraft is not known for being a difficult game to run, and in some ways enabling Minecraft RTX doesn't change this, as the game still isn't CPU intensive. If you're planning on joining the Minecraft RTX beta, you will need a solid GPU that supports RTX, and that means an NVIDIA 20 Series GPU or better. However, going for the bare minimum will lead to reduced frame rates, a lower draw distance (or how far away from the player the game will render things), and an overall less smooth experience. If you want the best, consider an upgrade, particularly in the GPU department.
According to the Minecraft RTX FAQ, the minimum requirements for Minecraft RTX include:
- An Intel Core i5 or AMD equivalent
- An NVIDIA 2060 or greater
- 8GB of RAM or greater
- 10GB of storage
- A 64bit version of Windows 10
The best ray tracing
As mentioned above, the minimum requirements to pull off Minecraft RTX come with some major compromises in overall playability, and your PC simply won't make the cut if you're not running a newer RTX-enabled GPU from NVIDIA. For these reasons, a few key upgrades to your PC can make all the difference. If it's a matter of priority, focus on your GPU above all else, as ray tracing is almost entirely GPU dependent. I suggest upgrading your RAM second, as 8GB of RAM just barely handles Minecraft RTX.
Our recommended set up for Minecraft RTX includes:
- Intel Core i5 10400 (opens in new tab) ($177 at Amazon) or AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (opens in new tab) ($200 at Amazon)
- MSI NVIDIA 2060 Super (opens in new tab) ($400 at Amazon) or EVGA NVIDIA 2070 Super (opens in new tab) ($525 at Amazon)
- Corsair DDR4 RAM 16GB (opens in new tab) ($67 at Amazon) or Corsair DDR4 RAM 32GB (opens in new tab) ($110 at Amazon)
- Samsung 970 EVO SSD 250GB (opens in new tab) ($70 at Amazon) or Samsung 860 EVO SSD 250GB (opens in new tab) ($50 at Amazon)
- Windows 10 Home 64bit (opens in new tab) ($119 at Amazon)
Now with ray tracing
Upgrade your Minecraft experience.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It's also available now with RTX ray tracing from NVIDIA, unlocking a new tier of gorgeous lighting effects and textures.
Zachary Boddy (They / Them) is a Staff Writer primarily focused on covering the latest news, the best Xbox and PC games, and the most interesting hardware. They have been gaming and writing for most of their life, and have been with Windows Central and its sister sites since 2019. While originally brought on to write about all things Minecraft, Zachary has since expanded to write about practically everything that Windows Central covers. You can find Zachary on Twitter @BoddyZachary.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.