Microsoft is shipping out another new Fast ring build for Windows 10 Insiders today. Coming in at build number 17738, today's release is largely focused on polishing up Redstone 5 with fixes and improvements as Microsoft continues to wind down development of the release.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue where on Windows 10 in S Mode, launching Office in the Store might fail to launch with an error about a .dll not being designed to run on Windows.
- We fixed an issue where downloading a big file in Microsoft Edge would stop at the 4gb mark.
- We fixed an issue where clicking the "more" button in Microsoft Edge's inline definition pop up when reading in recent flights would open a blank pane.
- We fixed an issue where items in Microsoft Edge's Settings and More menu would become truncated when the option to increase text size was enabled in Settings.
- We fixed an issue where using Find on page in Microsoft Edge didn't highlight/select the current instance of the result.
- We fixed an issue where after resetting Microsoft Edge saved favorites would get stuck showing a star next to the favorite name rather than populating the website's favicon (if available).
- We fixed an issue where text copied from certain websites in Microsoft Edge couldn't be pasted into other UWP apps.
- We fixed an issue impacting Teams resulting all unsent typed text disappearing following the completion of an emoji composition (for example 🙂 being turned into a smiley).
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where hiberfil.sys would unexpectedly reappear after upgrading even if it had been disabled.
- We fixed an issue that was highly impacting Start performance and reliability in the last few flights.
- We've made some adjustments to improve the time it takes to render the Task Manager window on launch.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the left side of the Microsoft Store's My Library section becoming unexpectedly blurry until moused over.
- We fixed a recent issue resulting in an increase in the amount of time taken to open large files in Notepad when word wrap was enabled.
- We fixed an issue where after setting a pin and removing it, the option to setup a pin from the lock screen could get stuck as the default login method, rather than the login screen remembering your preferred login method.
- We fixed an issue resulting in WSL's tar and curl commands not working on x86 devices.
- We fixed an issue resulting in text prediction and shapewriting not working when typing in Russian using the touch keyboard.
- We fixed an issue with Narrator Scan mode Shift + Selection commands, so text will now be selected properly in Microsoft Edge.
- Your PC will bugcheck (GSOD) when deleting a local folder that is synced to OneDrive.
- When you upgrade to this build you'll find that the taskbar flyouts (network, volume, etc) no longer have an acrylic background.
- When you use the Ease of Access Make Text bigger setting, you might see text clipping issues, or find that text is not increasing in size everywhere.
- Narrator sometimes does not read in the Settings app when you navigate using Tab and arrow keys. Try switching to Narrator Scan mode temporarily. And when you turn Scan mode off again, Narrator will now read when you navigate using Tab and arrows key. Alternatively, you can restart Narrator to work around this issue.
- After setting up a Windows Mixed Reality headset for the first time on this build with motion controllers, the controllers may need to be re-paired a second time before appearing in the headset.
- We're investigating an issue where IMEs are not able to type East Asian characters into certain text fields when using Microsoft Edge. Thanks for everyone who reported this.
As always, you can get a full look at this build's release notes and known issues at the Windows Blog. Otherwise, Fast ring Insiders can grab build 17738 from Windows Update now.
Minecraft Dungeons lead talks its next DLC and the future endgame
We talk Minecraft Dungeons’ recent Jungle Awakens DLC, the Creeping Winter expansion, and future endgame plans with game director, Måns Olson.
Fix up your Xbox Elite Controller with these parts
Need some replacement parts for your Xbox One Elite Controller? From new paddles, grips, bumpers, thumbsticks, and more, we have you covered.
Hands-on with Windows 10 build 20161 showcasing the new Start menu
Yesterday, Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 that includes an updated Start menu design with translucent Live Tiles, improvements to Notifications, and behavior changes to things like Tablet Mode and the Taskbar. It's been a while since Microsoft released a build with any surface-level changes, but now it's finally happened, we're back showcasing all the changes on video.
10 must-have apps for any new PC
You just purchased a new PC and set it up, and now you're looking for some great apps. Look no further. These are the best apps for your new Windows 10 PC.