What you need to know
- A new Windows 10 preview build is now available on the Fast ring.
- This build comes in at number 19551, and it packs a handful of fixes.
- Windows Insiders on the Fast ring can download this update now via Windows Update.
Microsoft today released another Windows 10 preview build for Insiders on the Fast ring. This release pushes the build number up to 19551, but it doesn't contain any major new features. Rather, this update is mostly concerned with a handful of bug fixes, and there are some known issues still sticking around.
Alongside the release of build 19551, Microsoft also revealed that it is halting testing of "Project Catnip," its Progressive Web App (PWA) meant to act as a hub for Insider news, release notes, and more. From Microsoft:
Here's a full look at the release notes for Windows 10 build 19551:
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue resulting in snipping not working on secondary monitors.
- Thank you for reporting that the Optimize Drives Control Panel was incorrectly showing that optimization hadn't run on some devices. We've fixed it in this build.
- We've fixed an issue causing Remote Desktop Connection crashes when attempting to connect to multiple sessions.
- We've made a server-side fix to address the issue causing Narrator Home to crash when selecting the "What's New" button in Narrator Home.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the language defaults listed at the top of Language Settings unexpectedly being blank.
- We've done some work to help address feedback reports that screenshots (WIN+Shift+S) pasted into Outlook would be unexpectedly large.
- We fixed an issue where, if you'd changed the candidate pane font for the Pinyin IME, it would be reset back to default after you reboot your PC.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area sometimes unexpectedly drawing in white (making it unreadable) when using light theme.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
- We are aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected.
- The cloud recovery option for Reset this PC isn't working on this build. Please use the local reinstall option when performing Reset this PC.
- We're looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We're investigating reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0x8007042b.
- We're looking into reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0xc1900101.
- We're looking into reports of certain external USB 3.0 drives not responding with Start Code 10 after they're attached.
- The Documents section under Privacy has a broken icon (just a rectangle).
- The IME candidate window for East Asian IMEs (Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and the Japanese IME) may not open sometimes. We are investigating your reports. As a workaround if you encounter this, please change the focus to another application or editing area and back to the original and try again. Alternatively, you can go to Task Manager and end the "TextInputHost.exe" task from the Details tab, and it should work afterwards.
For more on this build, you can check out Microsoft's full release notes at the Windows Blog. Otherwise, Insiders enrolled in the Fast ring can download build 19551 now via Windows Update.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.