The popular business-themed Slack messaging app has been promised for Windows Phone for some time. Now it appears that the beta version of the app is now available to download for anyone to try out in the Windows Phone Store. The app works on both Windows Phone 8.1 and the Windows 10 Mobile preview.
Here are the version notes for the Slack Windows Phone beta, which include known issues and upcoming features:
- New design that is more similar to the other Slack mobile apps with a Windows 10 style
- Support for various authentication methods such as two-factor authentication and guest single-sign on
- Live tile displaying the latest 5 messages
- New message markers in channels, unread message bar
- Custom emoji support & viewing message reactions
- Faster navigation between channels
- Profile pages
- Live tile notification text is not cleared when that message is read.
- The unread messages blue bar in a channel doesn't always automatically dismiss when the newest message initially appears on the screen.
- Text input areas sometimes receive focus when navigating causing the keyboard to open.
- After clicking a toast notification, there might be a delay in displaying the message while the app re-establishes a connection.
- Certain events like channel join / leave may trigger an unread channel indication when they should not.
- Reactions are currently read only.
- The application may not handle loss of connectivity gracefully in all situations.
- Each message from a user is currently displayed with a picture / name header instead of joining with previous recent messages
- Performance improvements
- File uploads
- Adding reactions
- Mentions & starred items view
It's possible that the appearance of the Slack Windows Phone app in the store for anyone to access is a mistake so if you are at all interested in getting the app, you might want to download it now.
Thanks to Daniel for the tip!