A lot can happen in a week. New apps join the Windows Phone Store or Windows Store. Your favorite apps can get a big update with a new look or new features. Device rumors come and go. Seven days might not seem like much, but it can be an eternity in the tech news cycle. Every week we're going to compile the biggest stories into one post, so you never fall behind – In Case You Missed It.
- First look at the ultra-budget Nokia Lumia 530 dual-SIM Windows Phone [Coverage]
- Microsoft's Nokia Lumia 830 gets real with photos and certification in Brazil exposing all [Coverage]
- Nokia Lumia 520 getting Cyan update in Africa, Latin America, more of Europe and Middle East [Coverage]
- Lumia Cyan is going out to many Lumia 920s worldwide, here is the full list [Coverage]
- Rumored Miracast dongle may be Microsoft's answer to Apple TV, Chromecast for Windows Phone [Coverage]
- Unlocked Lumia 530 up for UK pre-order, costs a bit more than expected [Coverage]
HTC One (M8) for Windows
- HTC One (M8) for Windows officially announced, available today on Verizon [Coverage]
- Hands-on video with Verizon's new HTC One (M8) for Windows [Coverage]
- HTC One (M8) for Windows wins Silver Medal in benchmarks, becomes world's fastest Windows Phone [Coverage]
- HTC One (M8) for Windows official specs [Coverage]
- HTC One M8 with Windows Phone 8.1 — a preview! [Coverage]
- Hands-on photos of the new HTC One (M8) for Windows [Coverage]
- Camera comparison: HTC One (M8) for Windows vs Samsung ATIV SE vs Lumia Icon [Coverage]
- HTC One (M8) for Windows is coming to AT&T, too [Coverage]
- This is Cortana with the Dot View case on the HTC One for Windows [Coverage]
Microsoft + Windows
- Steve Ballmer steps down as Microsoft board member [Coverage]
- Quick review of the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station [Coverage]
- Surface Pro 3 gets new but small out-of-schedule firmware update [Coverage]
- Skype relief is finally coming with notifications only on the device you're currently using [Coverage]
- Here is how to block ads in IE 11 for Windows 8.1 [Coverage]
- Windows 9 'Threshold' said to be unveiled on September 30 [Coverage]
- CoPilot announces new Premium navigation apps for Windows Phone [Coverage / Download]
- Xbox Video gains faster app startup and playback in new update [Coverage / Download]
- Innovative Uber integration coming to running app Track Runner [Coverage / Runtastic]
- Runtastic Pro gains improved layout, heart rate zones and more for Windows Phone 8.1 [Coverage / Download]
- Xbox One SmartGlass app updated with remote game purchases and more [Coverage / Download]
- New AFL Live app brings live Australian Football League matches to your Windows Phone [Coverage / Download]
- Studying anatomy this fall? Essential Anatomy 3 for Windows 8.1 is on sale [Coverage / Download]
- NFL Fantasy Football update allows you to add players, set your lineup and more [Coverage / Download]
- Maestro email app gets demoed, shows off quick actions and more [Coverage]
- Tentacles: Enter the Mind for Windows and Windows Phone with Xbox Live now available worldwide [Coverage / Download]
- Doodle God goes free to play with Doodle Planet on Windows Phone [Coverage / Download]
- Assassin's Creed Pirates drops anchor on Windows 8, Windows Phone version temporarily delisted [Coverage / Download]
- Latest Xbox One update rolling out with mobile purchasing, 3D Blu-ray support and more! [Coverage]
- Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson brings new workouts to Xbox Fitness [Coverage]
- ReddX is a new Reddit app for your Xbox One [Coverage]
- Xbox One digital pre-orders and pre-loading of games start now with Madden NFL 15 [Coverage]
- China approves 5 million Xbox One consoles can be sold for September 23 launch [Coverage]
- Weekly photo contest: Outdoors [Coverage]
- Leave up to 8 comments for 8 chances to win the HTC One (M8) for Windows [Coverage]
- Win a Lumia 635 from Nokia US for the new school year [Coverage]
- Alienware talks to us about their upcoming Windows living room PC, the Alpha [Coverage]
Thoughts from this past week
I was prepared to not like or want the HTC One (M8) for Windows, but I'm starting to reconsider after seeing it in action. It's a beautiful device running my favorite operating system. The Dot View case with Cortana looks very cool.
I'm just still hesitant about HTCs overall support towards the Windows Phone platform. The HTC 8X has yet to receive Windows Phone 8.1 while countless Lumia handsets have received that very update. There's no way to predict how HTC will support the One (M8) with Windows going into the future, but I'm hesitant. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
The HTC One (M8) for Windows was announced as a Verizon exclusive, but AT&T quickly announced they'd be carrying the handset "soon". An international release is likely at this point and I'm holding out hope for T-Mobile to pick up support as well. It'd be fun to play with a high-end device that isn't a Lumia.
On the other hand, the Lumia 830 might be a sleeper hit if priced right. It's expected to bring PureView camera technology into an affordable handset. It'll also be on the smaller size, which should appeal to those tired of the phablet craze and want their phone to be the same size as a phone.
Two weeks and some odd days to go until Destiny lands on the Xbox One. Can't wait to spend hours exploring. That is until the Master Chief Collection comes two months later.
ICYMI Mailing list
Subscribe to my newsletter to get the above content and more delivered to your inbox. I'll share the above content with you, plus share a few extra links to cool stories and products from around the web. You can even submit links to your blog post or apps that you'd like to be shared with the community. Just send me a tweet (@samsabri) with the URL to your story or app and include the hashtag #ICYMI. Note: I'll be sending out today's list shortly and include info on how to win $15 to the Windows Phone Store.
Share your thoughts on this past week of Windows Phone, Windows, Xbox and Microsoft news!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.