The Prime Day two-day shopping spree event is now well underway. While the mega-online retailer is expected to offer hefty discounts on thousands of items, the company is known to lower and increase prices regularly, which can make it confusing to determine if you're getting a good deal, and this is when Keepa comes in handy.
Keepa is a freemium service that tracks the price history of products available in Amazon, and it embeds the information as an easy to follow graph on every product you visit on the website using a browser extension available for Microsoft Edge, Chrome, and Firefox on Windows 10. If a discount looks tempting, you can review the data to understand how the price fluctuated over time to make a more informed purchase decision.
The sales event is only available for Amazon Prime members. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a monthly pass for $12.99 or $119 for the yearly membership. Amazon will even let you try its Prime subscription for free, which you can use to shop on October 13 and 14, and then decide if you want to continue.
In this Windows 10 guide, we'll walk you through the steps to use the Keepa extension on the most popular web browsers to understand the price history of an Amazon product to shop with confidence during the Amazon Prime Day event.
Your ticket to big time savings
The best way to get the most from Amazon
If you buy anything from Amazon, you're missing out without the subscription. In addition to fast-free shipping on most products and exclusive access to Prime Day deals, the Amazon membership also includes free streaming TV and movies, free digital books and magazines, unlimited music streaming and photo storage for a low monthy price.
Can't miss Prime Day spotlight deals
Kindle (Refurbished, 10th Gen) | $49.99 at Amazon
One way to save on the Kindle is by picking up a refurbished model at $40 off the price! This refurbished eReader has been tested and inspected to ensure it's in proper working condition and it even comes with the same warranty that a new model includes. You'll score a three-month subscription to Kindle Unlimited with the purchase, too.
Ring Alarm 5-piece Kit with Echo Dot | $119.99 at Amazon
Pick up the Ring Alarm 5-piece kit along with an Echo Dot at a discount of $130 today. The set comes with the base station, keypad, motion detector, contact sensor, and range extender, though 8-piece and 14-piece versions of the alarm system are also on sale today and include the free Echo Dot as well.
How to install Keepa on Windows 10
You can install the Keepa extension on all the major web browsers, including Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. The instructions below will help you to add the extension to your preferred browser.
Install Keepa extension on Edge
To install Keepa in the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge, use these steps:
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click the Settings and more (three-dotted) button and select the Extensions option.
Click the Get extensions for Microsoft Edge option from the left navigation pane.
Search for Keepa and click the Get button.
- Click the Add extension button.
Install Keepa extension on Chrome
To add Keepa to Chrome, use these steps:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Open the Chrome Web Store.
Click the Add to Chrome button.
- Click the Add extension button.
Install Keepa extension on Firefox
To install Keepa in Firefox, use these steps:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Open the Firefox Add-Ons store.
Click the Add to Firefox button.
- Click the Add button.
Once you complete the steps, Keepa will install on your browser, and you can begin to use the extension to check the price history of products during the Amazon Prime Day 2020 sales event.
This guide shows you the steps to install the extension in the three most popular browsers, but Keepa is also available for Safari and Opera.
How to check Amazon product price history using Keepa
To get started checking price history for Amazon products, use these steps:
- Open Amazon on the browser.
- Sign in with your account (if applicable).
- Search for a product you want to purchase during Amazon Prime Day.
- Confirm the Keepa embedded information below the product description.
Click the Price history tab.
The Price history tab shows a graph with the product's price history in Amazon and third-party sellers. However, almost always, you only want to focus on the orange graph, since it shows the product's information sold and fulfill from Amazon.
The light purple graph shows the price history of the product from third-party sellers. Also, by default, there's a gray graph that displays the product's price in used condition, and this data can be from Amazon or third-party sellers.
You can always toggle the views to focus on the price history from a specific type of seller.
The extension also offers a bunch of other data, such as from the Amazon Warehouse deals, third-party sellers with fulfillment by the merchant, different types of conditions, and more.
At the bottom, you can also change the range for the price to a "day," "week," "three months," and the "all" option will show all the available historical data for that particular product.
Once you understand the information, if a pretty good deal shows up, you can check the price history to determine whether the regular price was recently increased and then lowered to build the illusion of a good discount.
How to track Amazon product price using Keepa
Although it's not a requirement to create an account to use the service, you'll need to sign up with Keepa to track products and receive alerts as soon as the item drops to your desired price.
Create Keepa account
To create an account with Keepa to track prices during the Amazon Prime Day event, use these steps:
- Open Keepa on the browser.
- Click the Register button in the top-right.
Click the Register tab.
- Confirm the account details.
- Click the Register button.
Once you complete the steps, you can start tracking prices for virtually any products on Amazon.
Create Keepa tracker
After signing up with the service, you can start tracking products to get the best price possible when shopping on Amazon.
To track Amazon product prices using Keepa, use these steps:
- Open Amazon the web browser.
- Sign in with your account information (if applicable).
- Search for a specific product. For example, Surface Laptop 3, Dell XPS 13 laptop, etc.
- Click the Track product tab just below the product description.
- Select the Basic option for the tracking mode at the bottom of the tab.
In the orange box, specify the price you want to pay for the product sold and fulfilled by Amazon.
In the light purple box, select the product's desired price by a third-party seller.
Quick tip: When clicking the price box, a list will suggest some recommended prices you want to consider using for the tracker.
- (Optional) In the gray pick box, specify the desired price if you're considering to purchase the product in a used condition.
Use the Track for drop-down menu and select how long you want to track the product price.
Quick tip: If you only want to track Amazon Prime Day deals, you can select the "2 weeks" option. After the date range you specified, the tracker will be removed from the account.
- Click the Start tracking button.
After you complete the steps, Keepa will monitor the product's price, and you'll receive an email as soon as it reaches your desired amount.
You'll need to repeat the steps to track additional items. If you want to see the Amazon product, you're tracking you can login to your Keepa account.
While in your Keepa account, you can view all the items you're tracking. You can sort and filter the items and customize the view using the left navigation pane options, and you can even delete trackers that you no longer want.
How to change Amazon product price settings using Keepa
The extension also allows you to customize various settings to make it easier to track prices in Amazon. For example, you can adjust the chart's appearance, set default tracking settings, and more.
To update the Keepa extension settings, use these steps:
- Open Keepa on the browser.
- Sign in with your account details (if applicable).
- Click the user account menu in the top-right and select the Settings option.
Click the Website tab.
Under the "Chart appearance" section, you can change several settings, some of which include:
- Graphs to show — Specifies which sellers you want to see in the "Pricing history" tab, including Amazon, New, and Used.
- Range — Sets the default time range for the price history of the product. The default is three months, but you can check prices up to a year, or you can view all the data available in the Keepa database.
- Filter extreme values — Removes extremely high prices from the history.
Under the "Tracking settings" section, you can change default tracking settings, including:
- Tracking mode — Changes the mode to "Basic" (default and recommended in most cases), which only tracks prices. The "Advanced" option enables you to set additional tracking settings.
- Desired price reduction preset — Sets the default percentage reduction price when creating a tracker for a particular product.
- Merchants to prefill with desired prices — Automatically fills out the prices when preferred sellers based on the desired price reduction preset.
- Track for — Specifies the default time range when creating a new Amazon price tracker.
- Alter rearm timer — Allows you to continue to receive alerts after the price already reaches the lower price.
- (Optional) Under the "Add-on settings" section, you can customize various style aspects of the extension, such as vertical and horizontal sizes, default view, and more.
Click the Notifications tab.
- Select the options to get notified about price alerts, including email, telegram, web push notifications, or RSS feed.
Once you complete the steps, the changes will save automatically, and they'll become the default settings when using the extension on Amazon.
We're focusing this guide on Windows 10, but you can use the Keepa extension in the equivalent versions of the supported browsers in older versions of Windows, macOS, and Linux to shop smarter during the Amazon Prime Day event.
More Windows 10 resources
For more helpful articles, coverage, and answers to common questions about Windows 10, visit the following resources:
- Windows 10 on Windows Central – All you need to know
- Windows 10 help, tips, and tricks
- Windows 10 forums on Windows Central
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.