What you need to know
- A firmware update for the Wi-Fi-only Surface Pro X recently rolled out.
- The update improves system stability, enables support for the new Surface Type Cover, and updates the device in a few other areas.
- The update for the Wi-Fi-only Surface Pro X is the same one that shipped to LTE versions of the device in February 2022.
Microsoft started shipping a firmware update for the Wi-Fi-only Surface Pro X earlier this week. The update brings several improvements as well as support for the new Surface Type Cover.
Here are all of the changes in the update:
- Improves system stability and resolves system bugcheck.
- Improves Camera performance.
- Enables support for new Surface Type Cover.
- Improves integration with Surface Dock 2.
- Improves trackpad accuracy.
- Improves Bluetooth performance.
If you're an expert on Surface Pro X firmware updates, you'll notice that the changelog for the recent update for the Wi-Fi-only model is identical to the list of changes the LTE versions of the device received last month.
Updating to the most recent firmware required extra steps for the LTE versions of the Surface Pro X in February. That is not the case for the Wi-Fi-only model of the 2-in-1.
Microsoft outlines the specific driver versions and device managers in a changelog for the update (opens in new tab).
Surface updates are released in stages, so you may not be able to grab the latest firmware right away. The update started shipping on March 14, 2022, so you should receive it in the near future if you haven't already.
Microsoft notes that you should install all optional updates after you have finished installing the latest firmware on your device.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org (opens in new tab).
Need a Surface X with a gen 3 ARM cpu.
And about 400 dollars cheaper.
Then it would be attractive
I hope this isn't a silly question, but is there a new Type Cover that came out?
I'm glad you asked, because I had the same question. How new are we talking??
Exactly what I'm wondering.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.